Where to even begin...

He says he has been checking the chart and it keeps coming up as 79, but...... can't be bothered...... to post it.,,.............

so yea I pointed that out after posting about 2F0's, links, that he needs to identify the vin and a certain way to identify the frame. In fact everything he needs except where the vin no is on the motor.

So yea I can b like that. Or I can delete myself from the thread,........
Sorry about that . It had been a day. I posted when my butt was finally in the chair. I replied to someone else with the # being 2F0-202362.

Don't mind skull he's just like that but a fount of XS knowledge.
Check the VIN on the front of the motor it's prolly different from the frame vin. From the factory the numbers match.
View attachment 257297
You'll need a new clutch push rod seal. The clean area under yours is from the oil leak washing off the grime.
View attachment 257298
They're nearly always worn out.
Thanks alot. I'll be sure to add it to the list.

If that new $47 worm gear assembly is the one from MikesXS, I'd pass on it. None of the parts interchange with originals because the angle of the swirl is different. You're better off sticking with originals. The female nylon part is what usually wears but Yamaha used that part on many models so it's pretty easy to scrounge them .....

https://www.partzilla.com/product/y...?ref=8e57f4c772a5cf9e21585bf1f084074551846d34

My dealer has a boneyard out behind his shop and while there weren't any 650s out there, there were several 360s, 400s, and 500s. I scrounged the worms off of all of them, lol. In fact, that's how I discovered the 1L9 worm. I have it installed on both my 650s and I've supplied them to a couple of my buddies for theirs.
Thanks for the heads up. I was checking out the one on xs650direct. https://xs650direct.com/products?make=22&year=15&model=90&category=82 ( its the one all the way on the bottom)

IMG_20231212_155459078.jpg
IMG_20231212_155515014.jpg

It can be a mistake at times Ordering parts before ..making an overall assessment
This sends signals of missing clutch parts and no Ignition Box ( If it is not there somewhere )
It can be that there are problems inside the motor Not yet known Hole in a piston or something
And then the electronic box sold off.
Here someone would have repaired a small problem and used it .

Ignition can be Boyer Bransden in the future a $ 2 --$ 300

But if it was me i Would do some Inspections before .ordering parts .. Borescope ? Does it turn ? Is there metal particles in the Oil filters ?
Compression ? Any Clocks with odometer reading ?

After such Inspections other actions can be more rational A replacement motor with ignition on it and clutch parts possibly

It can be a mistake at times Ordering parts before ..making an overall assessment
This sends signals of missing clutch parts and no Ignition Box ( If it is not there somewhere )
It can be that there are problems inside the motor Not yet known Hole in a piston or something
And then the electronic box sold off.
Here someone would have repaired a small problem and used it .

Ignition can be Boyer Bransden in the future a $ 2 --$ 300

But if it was me i Would do some Inspections before .ordering parts .. Borescope ? Does it turn ? Is there metal particles in the Oil filters ?
Compression ? Any Clocks with odometer reading ?

After such Inspections other actions can be more rational A replacement motor with ignition on it and clutch parts possibly
You're 100% right. Trying to get my ducks in a row. Motor does turn over. Feel like there's compression but I haven't pulled a plug to put the tester on yet. Just looking at it the backs of the valves are filthy. We'll see when I crack it open. I do have a black box here labeled "ignition unit". The top triple trees with gauges will be coming my way soon. The guy found it in his storage shed. You make some excellent points.

You're 100% right. Trying to get my ducks in a row. Motor does turn over. Feel like there's compression but I haven't pulled a plug to put the tester on yet. Just looking at it the backs of the valves are filthy. We'll see when I crack it open. I do have a black box here labeled "ignition unit". The top triple trees with gauges will be coming my way soon. The guy found it in his storage shed. You make some excellent points.

Could post a picture of the box The gentlemen can identify it . Those cost money and makes a difference. It can be repaired if necessary.

The TCI system was Yamaha's first try at electronic ignitions. They hit it out of the park on the first swing. Even in 2023 it's still a damn good system. I'd run with it for your build if it were me.
Mind you, them boxes are gettin' a little long in the tooth. If it works, great. If not, it can be fixed "in most cases." And if it can't, there's an inexpensive box that's "almost" plug and play... and "almost" as good.

I tried many electronics companies to get mine checked / repaired. Not one even bothered to reply to my requests.
I did do a GONZO GN250 Suzuki bodge to replace the TCI unit which worked a treat.
I may put the TCI unit back however as it seems I had a batch of duff plugs leading me down several rabbit holes looking for the fault.

Back