CV Carbs

Crackers61

Crackers61
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm having troubles trying to get my bike to run. The engine is a 75 model 447, newly re-built. My ignition timing is prefect, valve timing perfect too. Running points.

I'm running CV carbs 34mm. I've pulled them to bits cleaned them out, cleaned all jets and passageways, a number of times now.

The engine seems like its starving and struggles to run, sometimes i can get full throttle but not all the time. I've put this poor running down to the carbs.
Apart from the carb forums is there anything else i could try, without replacing the carbs?

Out of ideas?

thanks in advance
Crackers

While it's struggling to run, you can play with partially choking a carb by cupping your hand over a carb opening. Changes in running could indicate carb issue (s).

Also, while It's struggling to run, pull-off a plug cap, but only so far as to force the spark to jump a 1/8"-1/4" gap. (Try it for each side) Changes here could indicate weak spark, bad coil, fouling plug, excess fuel/oil in cylinder.

Temporarily close down plug gap to about 0.015". Changes in running here could point to ignition issues.

Also, look for arcing of the points, could indicate bad condenser(s).

Of course, check charging voltage...

Last edited:
Hi,

thanks for the reply. one thing i haven't looked at is the float levels in carbs, along with what you have suggested i'll look at the float levels.

Thanks
Crackers

Back