Damn Craigslist

hooktool

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
I have bought three XS650's this week from CL. And I still have a nice project I bought last month that I still have to pick up in IL. One is an 81 Special that runs like a top. I probably paid a little more than I might have, but the motor etc is perfect, and there's no rust etc.

The other two were listed this morning. More like 1 and 3/4 bikes as there's some stuff missing. Both motors have good compression and a lot of good parts-1 frame has been cut for a hardtail. They are both specials, one a 79 with mags, and the other has alloy rims with spokes. I have never seen these-anyone else? 16 rear, 19 front and they look like Sun rims-sweet. They don't have shoulders. They are better than they look in the photo-I'm gonna take these apart and polish them and put in new SS spokes.

AND, some of you guys like the chunky tread tires, I got a NEW pair of Dunlops, 16 and 19 inch. I've never seen these, but I don't usually look at this kind of tire. Maybe I'll use them, maybe sell them.

I still have three other 650's in various stages-one's a hardtail with a newly built and polished motor, and several motors, so I need to get rid of some stuff soon. smile.gif And I need to quit reading CL.:eek:

John

Attachments

• P1040088.JPG
    P1040088.JPG
    115.5 KB · Views: 168
  • P1040084.jpg
    P1040084.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 163
  • P1040086.jpg
    P1040086.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 170
  • P1040087.jpg
    P1040087.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 177
Busted.
I wish I got paid for all the time I waste acting like a vulture on Craigslist.

That rim in the pic looks a lot like the ones used on the early XSes, 'cept they were chromed. I'm not familiar with the spoked rim styles on the later Specials. Both of mine have cast wheels.

I think the early Special 2 (79) had the alloy 16 rear and 19 front spoke wheels, then they went to chrome

The '79 Special II was the only Special model that had alloy spoked rims and they had no flanges like the Standard rims. Rather unique and rare.

Well I guess my 19" and 16" rim will stay on the bike for a little longer...they do have rather thick clear coat and where it has flaked off there is some etching. So with that and already having the new tires mounted and balanced I don't want to use a stripper to get the clear off (afraid of getting it on the tires). The entire alloy on the bike is getting a brushed look and I planned on doing this to the rims so should I just keep sanding away slowly?

Oh and John those rims look in great shape but why where the spokes so rusty? Also did you find and lead weights attached to the spokes?

-Buddy

Well I guess my 19" and 16" rim will stay on the bike for a little longer...they do have rather thick clear coat and where it has flaked off there is some etching. So with that and already having the new tires mounted and balanced I don't want to use a stripper to get the clear off (afraid of getting it on the tires). The entire alloy on the bike is getting a brushed look and I planned on doing this to the rims so should I just keep sanding away slowly?

Oh and John those rims look in great shape but why where the spokes so rusty? Also did you find and lead weights attached to the spokes?

-Buddy

They are rusty because it sat outside probably. I'll use new SS spokes, and probably use the wheels on something else I'm working on. This bike will be justo for parts.

I guess you can get the old finish off by sanding. I tend to take things apart.

John

Buddy, got a compressor? You can get a basic sand blast gun at Harbor Freight for about $25 and some glass beads or aluminum oxide media to blast your rims. It won't hurt your tires and would be a lot, no a LOT, easier and more effective than sanding.

I saw two-part aerosol clear coat the other day somewhere on the net. Or get a pint of urethane clear coat from O'Reilly or your auto paint supplier along with a basic HVLP gun or even one of those Preval aerosol paint jar things. Easy Peezy and they'll look and last like new.

I've got a sandblasting gun I bought from JC Whitney years ago that probably works the same as the HF one. I checked on it last week and it was on sale for like $5. It's a decent little unit, made in the USA even. I've used a variety of media with it, from regular old sand I got from a gravel/rock yard to play sand I bought at Toys R Us, to a special non-silicon based media that I bought from a supply house that sells to folks with real sandblasters. All of it worked pretty well. I even reclaim and reuse it. I have a seive and just sweep it up and run it through the sieve into a bucket, ready for use again.

If you blast, it's a good idea to wear a full-face shield, and if you blast with anything other than the non-silicon stuff, you should wear a mask as well. Silicon dust is hazardous. Probably should wear a mask even with the special stuff, just on general principles.

Anyway, recently I also had to address some heavy corrosion on the wheels for my 78E. Getting that old clear coat off can be a bitch. Instead of my sandblaster, I chucked a small wire wheel -- about 2-1/2" diameter -- up into a power drill (one that plugs into the wall because it spins faster than my cordless one) and scoured the corrosion and clear coat off using that. It did leave some brush marks behind, but I was able to remove most of them using a Ryobi cloth polishing wheel kit I bought that is also made to chuck up into a drill. Came with an assortment of compound sticks, from course to very fine. It took a while, but I was able to get the wheel looking pretty good again without a lot of physical effort or making a big mess -- which sandblasting can do.

I just surfed over to JC Whitney and had a look. It isn't on sale anymore. This is the one I bought:

http://www.jcwhitney.com/portable-abrasive-blaster/p2007614.jcwx

Back