Damn dying computer

jayel

#9 Guru 74 TX650A
Reaction score
my 8 year old laptop is on its last legs methinks, starts up ok then the screen goes black WAAAH! wimper wimper whine whine, oh well spent the morning pulling the info off of the harddrive with a thunderbird usb cable then pulled the laptop down and cleaned connections (XS650 wiring training) put it back together and it works again but not trustworthy, I hate computers:banghead:

Computers are a lot cheaper than were 8 years ago.. You can good a good-enough new laptop for about $700-800 and a decent desktop for a little less. Plus it'll probably be 10 times faster than your old computer. Seems like I'm in need a new computer about every 4 years. 8 years is a long life for a laptop!

The desktop upright GX260 Dells are good computers....ebay business leased........some of the 270's had some bad capacitors.....ebay 80-120 dollars......I bought one and like it......xsjohn

My brother bought a Dell desktop a few months ago for about $700 that has a dual-core 64 bit processor, 640gb harddrive, 6 Gb of ram and a 23" widescreen monitor! The monitor is awesome!

I know the pain, just had a hd fail in one system and one is going in my main rig, just need to figure out which one... but yes you can get a decent system for cheap nowadays, I still avoid pre-builts, but they aren't as bad as they used to be.

Oh, and my laptop's almost as old, going on 6, it's hd is starting to go, too...

Hey Jayel, my dad got his used from UCONN. Every year, after school is out, they sell all the stuff the student's left when they went home. I am using his laptop now, it's a Dell, don't know the model or anything, but he got it for $40. The harddrive( I guess) was all cleaned up, just had the usual basic stuff in it. A freind did all the update's & such for me, and it works great. Try any of the collage's in the area, you might find something cheap. BTW, it came with a 90 day warrenty, not bad for something you don't know about. Hey, you bring it home & if it craps out, go back & get your money back.

There should be some good deals about at the moment, now Intel have just brought out their new processers, with every one trying to sell off their old stock.

Back