Dampers.. dampener's .... rubber thingies

motormike

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
I emailed several vendors about the rubber-foam dampers for the gauges on my 82' Xs.... mine are falling apart.... so far I've heard back from... No one.... I'm try'n to have all the various rubber bits on hand for when the frame comes back from powder coat. The rubber bushings with sleeves that mount the gauge plate.... found a " universal " kit on ebay that might work.. I've used " O " rings in the past.... Also..since I have your attention... I have to de-gunk..clean the engine.... besides various wire brushes... what is a good spray on cleaner ? .. " GUNK ".... I'm go'n to toss the engine in the back of the pickup.... get a pocket of quarters and visit the car wash.... It's a 82' model.. I have to paint the engine ..... 😎

I have a crappy 120vac pressure washer that is virtually useless for most pressure washer jobs. I bought it, then borrowed my brothers to wash/prep my deck for stain. However, it is just good enough for XS650 engine cleaning. I spray in Simple Green, carb cleaner, brake cleaner swipe a .22 cal brush through and all looks tidy enough for a calender shoot.

Back in my motox days I used a prewash spray, let it sit for a few minutes then hose it off. It removed absolutely everything grease, oil, dirt and .left the bike and engine absolutely spotless.

Thanks guys... I emailed the one supplier mentioned here... no reply yet.... $38.oo... Each ! steep ! I have a guy who makes rubber bits... not sure if he can beat that price... we have a power washer at the shop.... but.. it's 24 degrees.... powder coat gets drop'd off today.... ( except forks ) ..... rest of the bits... fuel tank.. etc etc.. will get painted in house..... Next week pull engine apart..... determine amount of wallet abuse that is required... The plan is to have it ready for the Ozarks 2024.... My shop buddy... the Hair Lipped Dog.. " mark mark mark " may attend... he recently purchased a nice 77'.... sweet runner...has Special exhaust on it...looks ok... in very nice shape.... my 82' pipes are rust pitted.... .I'll see if he wants a new system from Mike's.... and I'll pop for it and get his Special system.... part of his 77' deal was a 72' and a parts bike 73'.... the 72' has unknown engine issues...... 😎

Attachments

• Project Xs P Coat.jpg
    Project Xs P Coat.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 33
Partshark.com has the dampers for the tach/speedo. <$28 ea for the big one. $4.88 ea for the ones on the bottom. That sounds like a significant savings from where you’re shopping.
I need some of those puppies too. Both my1980 Specials have sloppy gauge faces due to aged rubber bits. I see they dont have the undergrommets, but they do have the upper rubber ring.

Never bought from them. Here is a link to their XS/TX rubber parts. Mainly 2 stroke suppliers and the 4 main manufacturers, might find them handy for some of Marks and your restorations

https://hvccycle.net/xs-tx-four-strokes/
I have bought from there in the past - rubber was perfect for my Speedo and tacho dials on a ‘75 & ‘78 !

I need some of those puppies too. Both my1980 Specials have sloppy gauge faces due to aged rubber bits. I see they dont have the undergrommets, but they do have the upper rubber ring.
New under grommets are required to keep the clocks from falling apart.

Park shark has the main dampers on special down from 37.00 to 27.00with a saving of $10 each.

The link I posted has all the other dampers with a saving, (campared to sharkpark), of $26 for the 4 cup an 4 Cup to bracket dampers.

Saving $46.00, (overall buying from both places), less the extra postage.

They showed em unavailable for a 1980, what year Special were you looking at....perhaps theres an alternate number?

Yea you have to search through the years. 76 didn't have them nor 80 when I looked found them on 79SF, I think. Didn't look at all the other 78E/SE, 79F, 79SII, 80SII, 81H/SH,82,83.

76 to 83 but sharkpark don't show the dampers on the bolt holding the gauge bracket to the Crown.

On some years they do, not on others, they say part not available, so if you don't do a full search between 76 and 83 you might think they don't have them.

I emailed several vendors about the rubber-foam dampers for the gauges on my 82' Xs.... mine are falling apart.... so far I've heard back from... No one.... I'm try'n to have all the various rubber bits on hand for when the frame comes back from powder coat. The rubber bushings with sleeves that mount the gauge plate.... found a " universal " kit on ebay that might work.. I've used " O " rings in the past.... Also..since I have your attention... I have to de-gunk..clean the engine.... besides various wire brushes... what is a good spray on cleaner ? .. " GUNK ".... I'm go'n to toss the engine in the back of the pickup.... get a pocket of quarters and visit the car wash.... It's a 82' model.. I have to paint the engine ..... 😎

The last 3-4 motors I’ve cleaned I’ve used foaming engine degreaser and some wire brushes, dental picks for scraping the nooks n crannies, Followed by some spray downs with brake cleaner.

Got rid of most of the heavy stuff. Then soda blast it.

Back