Dead Electrical

bosshasr

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I was on my way home from the shop last night and the bike (1980 Special II) was running great when all of a sudden she went dark and completely shut off on me. No dash lights, headlights, starter, parking lights, nothing. I checked the fuses and the connections to the fuse holders and everything seemed good (still glass fuses which was next on the list to get replaced). I've had a spotty ignition switch, so I jumped that out and it made no difference. I just changed the coil on the bike but even if that turned out to be a lemon, I wouldn't imagine it would take everything with it.

I've got it street parked where it died and was going to try wiring the coil to the battery after work so I could get it back to the shop a couple miles down the road and work on it. I know this is a very open ended question but does anyone have any recommendations for what I should start checking first? As always, I appreciate the help.

Steve

It's rare, but don't discount the possibility that the battery just up and died. And I'd be very suspicious of that old fuse block. Could also be the ground from the battery fell/rusted off the frame. Get a meter and start looking for voltage.

Thanks Jim. I installed one of those multi-color LED voltage monitors a bit ago and seconds before it died, it still said I was charging around 14 volts but I'll check if it shit the bed. I share your suspicion of the fuse block and will be looking at that again.

Got it back to the shop and still couldn't find the problem. Then went to take the positive lead off the battery and it came off in my hand. Replaced the lead and the ground strap for good measure and we're back on the road. Inline fuses going in this weekend.

Back