Diaphragms and slides

rsor

Wanna do this again!
Reaction score
Are there any ideas out there on how to get these slides out of these carburetors? I would like to use them on another set of carbs as the diaphragms look good. But they are stuck in there, and stuck good. I removed from an engine that outside for a long time. Could be dust, but I am not sure what has caused them to bind up in there.

Attachments

• IMG_0465.JPG
    IMG_0465.JPG
    294.9 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_0466.JPG
    IMG_0466.JPG
    256 KB · Views: 88
Along with the penetrating oil, I also warm them up with a heat gun (on low) or hair dryer. A hair dryer is better because it doesn't get that hot. It will warm things enough but not too much so as to do damage to the rubber or plastic bits.

Along with the penetrating oil, I also warm them up with a heat gun (on low) or hair dryer. A hair dryer is better because it doesn't get that hot. It will warm things enough but not too much so as to do damage to the rubber or plastic bits.
As said, you must use heat. Dried gasoline varnish is like hardened glue until softened with heat. Just try to keep the heat away from the rubber diaphragms.

I have tried heat, but maybe I was just not persistent enough? Looks like some more effort on the first rainy day!

I like to blow the heat in through the intake, wedge the butterfly open a bit.
a Wood wedge shaped to fit under the slide, slotted to miss the needle, emulsion tube and gentle tapping?

Last edited:
I like to take a piece of wood under the slide and put just a very slight bit of upward pressure on it . Add heat and they typically start giving way. Are the needles and needle fitting plates stuck also?

I haven’t personally tried it but I don’t think soaking them in really hot water would hurt the diaphragms

has anybody mentioned using"fluid film" if you are not in a hurry this stuff will loosen up rusty, corroded parts, it's non-toxic not hard on rubber or plastic. also as a rust prevention. Farmers use it because its non-toxic

i dont know if it's better, i have several cans of the best penetrating (which ever they are selling) but i have had success using it, because chemical free doesn't harm rubber,plastic it's good for other things because of coating it leaves. we over here call it sheep dip! PB stinks for days. i used it on my old rims that were 50 years old to loosen the spoke nipples, it took a while but worked.

I've had good luck using WD40, maybe because it's mostly kerosene which is a solvent. I'm thinking it dissolves the gas varnish easier and better than penetrating oil.

'K.... on the "here, hold my beer" scale of stupid shit... this one rates a solid 10 (OMFG!! :yikes:).
Clamp it up in a vise with scraps of ply blocking off both ends. Stick a blowgun in the emulsion tube hole and pull the trigger.
Drape a metric shit ton of rags over the whole affair to catch the flying bits mid flight.

1657129774441.png

Back