Did I get ripped off? new guy here.

Boon

XS650 Member
Reaction score
At middle age, I'm chasing down the toys I had when I was a kid. Came across this for $1100. Runs, but forks are bent, seat is some sort of homemade nonsense...various other flaws, as you can see. it's a 1978 650 special. Opinions?

Attachments

• 68375904304__6B7CCB2E-D92A-401A-9F55-DA35328F49FC.jpeg
    68375904304__6B7CCB2E-D92A-401A-9F55-DA35328F49FC.jpeg
    257.1 KB · Views: 92
Seen much worse for higher costs
It depends on the mileage and engine status
I don't think it is a Rip Off based on what is known now.
Every used bike I have bought have had something problematic I did not notice before the Purchase.
Sometimes upsetting but fixing it and suck it up overall good experiences at the end
Not to say very good

The speedometer looks like it came off a Standard model.....thinking all Specials had the orange/black indicator needle with the yellow background lighting.....not a big deal unless the displayed mileage is extremely low and was a selling point.

The stock Special seat is probably the most aesthetic looking and comfortable of the '78 and '79 models. '81 and up gets the lift off seat with the big height difference between driver and passenger.

Lots of Special owners go for a lower handlebar.

You did alright.

Regarding bent forks.....is the triple tree ok?
I don't know. Honestly, I didn't know the trees could bend. I ordered a set of lowers from eBay....and uh oh, they came off of an XS 650 B, and Ebay says they won't fit. Do you know if this is true?

The speedometer looks like it came off a Standard model.....thinking all Specials had the orange/black indicator needle with the yellow background lighting.....not a big deal unless the displayed mileage is extremely low and was a selling point.

The stock Special seat is probably the most aesthetic looking and comfortable of the '78 and '79 models. '81 and up gets the lift off seat with the big height difference between driver and passenger.

Lots of Special owners go for a lower handlebar.

You did alright.
Where can I buy a stock seat?

Yes, it is, unfortunately. You have 35mm (tube diameter) forks on your bike, the '75 model uses 34mm forks.

Ask here on the site before buying stuff and we can advise you.
Oh, dang it. I just emailed the eBay seller. Hopefully I can get a refund and get the right parts. Thank you!

I don't think you got snookered .... If it runs well.... you came out ok.... get the correct seat and bars that won't require a chiropractor appointment... the HD muffs.. they find a home on many bikes besides Xs units.... look good.. sound good.... I'd prefer the Emco shorties.... If it's going to be a keeper... think about tapered bearings and forks springs.... bronze swing arm bearings... drop rear sprocket to a 32... 😎

Where can I buy a stock seat?

eBay, mebbe here in the classifieds one could pop up.
You need the side hinged Special seat, not the lift off seat and not the Standard seat. There's a lot to learn about the different years and what can be easily swapped or fabbed. The knowledge of the collective members here has no equal so be sure to use that resource.....save ya time and money like 5Twins alludes.

Is it a killer deal. No
Is it a fair deal for both seller and buyer. Yes.
That doesn't matter anymore. You have the bike. From the one pic it looks good. Also depends on the PO's upkeep.

Thing that will need to be done to the bike are the normal ongoing maintenance issues. Brake lines, (old rubber ones need to be changed), calipers/MC, (change fluid and maybe dismantle and clean up calipers and replace anything that is worn or pitted), carbs, and maybe the Cam-chain and front canm-chain guide. (the guide will b a tell in an oil change), and oil change, checking the filters, (especially the bottom one), for damage and any filings/particles.

As pointed out the gauge is from a standard so there is no real way to tell how many mile it has done, Compression test wouldn't hurt.

Go through the link i posted earlier. It has a lot of info that can help. It is not just about the different model differences. Has a link full of online PDF Manuals, both service and parts and some assembly manuals. I am adding links to it regarding tutorials and common things that arise, ..................Carb guide included, post #7

Last edited:
When I bought my recent XS650s I told my wife they were an investment. I DID NOT CONTINUE to explain that I was certain she could get 50 cents on the dollar when she sold them after I passed away. This one might be 55 cents at this point,,,
Red Bike in build.jpg

Back