do i have to run a battery if the bike is KS only?

theyammieguy

Make it your own.
Reaction score
Like the title says, do I need a battery if I plan on having it kickstart only? The only electrical I'll have on the bike will be the ignition, headlight and tail light.

Do I have to do anything special to make it a kickstart only engine?

Like weeekendrider suggested, you need a battery unless you swap to a permanent magnet alternator. The oem charging system needs power to make power. It's an electromagnet so if you have no battery, you can kick it all day long and it won't charge and won't spark at all. If you put a small battery on it, that would probably be enough to activate the charging system so the bike will start and run. With a permanent magnet setup, the charging system starts working as soon as it spins. You'll want a capacitor to even out the power.

Thats exactly what I'm looking for. It will be a 1980.
How's the weather up in CS? I'm in Houston and I've been riding in the rain all week.

The same. I got caught out one night and rode home in a pouring. Had to pull under an overpass and wait.

Ok well since you probably have tci.. So here's what my list was.

Pamco ignition w/ATU setup
For ease custom stator plate from MrRiggs on eBay
Vf500 stator
Vf500 reg rect
Banshee alt rotor/flywheel
25v 10,000uf capacitor

Lemme know if you have anymore q's

Will do, thanks man.
The guy I'm buying it from says he bought a Pamco ignition. Not sure if it's the one I need or not.

Ok. I'm hoping to get it in about a month. He only wants $200 for but it's up in Oklahoma.
Who sells the best hard tail? Is there a such a thing as the best hardtail and easiest to weld on?

Well if I has it to do over again I would have done an elswick dropseat, but that's if you like dropseats. Talk to rockabilly on here.

Posted via Mobile

Looks good man. What was the final rake? I'm undecided if I want to rake this one or not. Is that a king sportster tank? and what rear fender is that. Lol

BTW...here's my daily driver.
002-9.jpg

003-4.jpg

004-5.jpg

001-9.jpg

and here's a couple from last May over in Medina Tx.
IMG_0121-1.jpg

011.jpg

The rake is so that I could run +4" at normal ride height, but I lowered it with the stock tubes. It's just a sporty and its actually the stock fender I modified.

Posted via Mobile

That looks good man. I originally wanted a chopper, but I ended up more and more wanting a low rider bobber. I realized I still love the classic looks over the flash.

Posted via Mobile

The stance on yours looks good. I was thinking about going with a 2" under springer.

I love my chopper but I'm ready for an old school. I'll keep the roadie though. I'm riding it to NY next summer.

The 2 under is the same length of the stock xs, so that should be easy enough! There is a thread about the conversion somewhere on here.

Posted via Mobile

Back