Do I need a bigger hammer?

suthpaw22

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Trying to take my wheels apart to be completely gone through and cleaned up. I seem to be having an issue removing the hub cover. Any suggestions?:banghead:

Attachments

• Bike Project 001.jpg
    Bike Project 001.jpg
    219.7 KB · Views: 131
  • Bike Project 002.jpg
    Bike Project 002.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 144
What are you trying to remove? I don't see any cover. The grease seals will come off with a screwdriver.

From the service manual:
D. Replacing wheel bearings
If the bearings allow play in the wheel hub or
if wheel does not turn smoothly, replace the
bearings as follows:
Clean the outside of the wheel hub.
Drive the bearing out by pushing the
spacer aside and tapping around the
perimeter of the bearing inner race with a
soft metal drift pin and hammer. The
spacer "floats"between the bearings. Both
bearings can be removed in this manner.
To install the wheel bearing, reverse the
above sequence. Be sure to grease the
bearing before installation. Use a socket
that matches the outside race of the bearing
as a tool to drive in the bearing.

The guts look like this:
0075.png

I was thinking the same thing. What is he beating on? Looks like he'll be beating awile since there is a lip in behind the bearing. Suthpaw, read the tech section on wheel bearing removal before you destroy that wheel.

The broken mallet was a coincidence. lol.

I was thinking the hub cover, number 13 in the pic I believe, needed to come off before the guts. I removed the bolts, tapped it with the mallet, and it didn't budge... I posted this thread then went on to other things. The mallet went down on another task.

I think the OP is referring to the cover over the un-used disc-brake mounting holes. The usual XS ones are chromed stamped steel; other like the one pictured (as also came on my TX750 wheel) are cast alloy.
Some sort of solvent/lube to get it moving, and a large pin-spanner should get it twisting and unstuck.

Back