Do these Baffles look right?

hotrdd

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
I have a set of Vance and Hines 650 Straight shot baffles installed in my pipes and the bike is still extremely loud. Does the amount of wrap on the baffles look right and the direction I have them installed? If so I need to find a way to get even quieter or I'll never be able to fire this thing up at 5:30am and head to work :)

Attachments

• BafflesSm.jpg
    BafflesSm.jpg
    262 KB · Views: 211
Last edited:
Put more wrap on lengthwise, but don't make it too tight. The tighter you wrap it, the less it muffles (absorbs) sound.

Last edited:
I have about 18" of pipe available to put the baffles in, do you think it would help if I made the baffles longer with more wrap. The concerning have right now is that I'm not even sure the baffles are making the bike quieter.

Start the bike without the baffles in. I bet it's a lot louder. Leo is right though, if you want a quiet bike, glass packs are not the way to go.

As mentioned, you need to wrap the entire length. Just a little missing on the ends like you have it will make a big difference in sound. We used to run baffled expansion chambers on our Kawasaki triples years ago. When just a little packing burned off the baffle ends, like 1/2", they got very loud. To keep them reasonably quiet, we needed to re-wrap the baffles like every 1000 miles. We just used house insulation because basically, it was free (and we were poor, lol).

Back