Do we care about the enviroment !!! ????

climate change.jpg

Well, in my opinion, no one is really moving fast enough, but China is actually outperforming us as far as renewable energy goes...

In 2020, China added 71.6 GW of wind power generation capacity to reach a total capacity of 281GW.[6] Both China's installed capacity and new capacity in 2020 are the largest in the world by a wide margin, with the next largest market, the United States, adding 14 GW in 2020 and having an installed capacity of 118 GW.
Link.
I'm not a fan of China (don't get me started... :cussing:) , and as I said, no one is moving quick enough in my opinion... but china is working on it just like we are.... only quicker.
Psss... hey @gggGary ... I give to Wiki pretty regular too. Everyone who uses it should.
thumbsup.gif

Wow. I guess my memory failed me. I could have sworn that Global Cooling was a thing. But if the Google machine says it wasn't then...
Maybe I was thinking of Over-population? Or was it the vanishing ozone layer? Or Worldwide famine? Nuclear holocaust? Mass extinction? Global warming? It's hard to keep track. Strange how the solutions all look alike. And, that the biggest proponents of "Climate Change" seem to line their pockets while buying oceanfront property they tell us will be underwater in just a few years.
"Green on the outside, red on the inside" - Walter Williams
Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go explain to my kids what snow is since they've never seen it (Al Gore - net worth $300M+)

Wow. I guess my memory failed me. I could have sworn that Global Cooling was a thing.
Oh it was a thing alright.... for about 3 months in the early seventies. Within 6 months it was thoroughly debunked because junk science doesn't usually survive real peer review..... but what a glorious 6 months it was... :laugh2:

Oh it was a thing alright.... for about 3 months in the early seventies. Within 6 months it was thoroughly debunked because junk science doesn't usually survive real peer review..... but what a glorious 6 months it was... :laugh2:
Leonard Nimoy told us this stuff on the TV. He was Spock and beyond reproach. Debunking him wasn't so easy as engaging in internet searches.

Yes, I remember that show and Nimoy talking about it. Just goes to show we shouldn't be looking to TV stars for science... that includes... ehem... reality TV stars... :laugh2:
Was a bit facetious about the timeline above. :sneaky:
Here's a good article about the timeline of The Great Ice Age.

"Things came to a head in 1975, when the US National Academy of Sciences published a report that prompted a number of news stories. The thrust of the report was that climate prediction was not yet possible, and it outlined a plan of action for fostering a research program to change that. But it also summarized the state of scientific knowledge at the time."

It was pretty much at this point the scientific community quit making wild assed guesses and started doing the real work of scientific study.... and here we are. :)

From the article referenced above.....

"It wasn't just magazines, either. A 1978 episode of the Leonard Nimoy-narrated In Search of… TV series also lives on for its over-the-top warning of an ice-covered North America within a lifetime. That episode was about as wrong then as it looks today, but it is hard to argue that we should expect a show that spent most of its hours exploring supposed “paranormal mysteries” would be expected to accurately and soberly summarize the state of the science. (The previous episode, by the way, warned in similarly dramatic tones of an unstoppable US invasion from the south—by fire ants.) Still, the “ice age” episode apparently left a memorable impression."
:lmao:

I'll posit that our "understanding" of the levers and mechanisms of the earths climate can be compared to being somewhere around the "rutherford model" level of understanding of the atom.
https://www.thoughtco.com/history-of-atomic-theory-4129185

The scientists have pried back and are peeking in on one corner of an incredibly complicated globe of interactions and it will take quite while longer to get a real handle on the "ways of the world". Add a political solution crafted by many with hidden agendas and a "solution" depending on changing one bogeyman (CO2) seems doomed to fail.
Planet surface is roughly 3/4 ocean; https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20210119-why-saving-whales-can-help-fight-climate-change.

YJust goes to show we shouldn't be looking to TV stars for science... that includes... ehem... reality TV stars... :laugh2:

Right? I prefer to get my science information from bartender/politicians. "Like, the planet is like, totally like changing and stuff. Like, we only have 12 years before we like die and stuff" Loosely translated... Or teenage girls on the spectrum... Or actors, or....

the biggest proponents of "Climate Change" seem to line their pockets while buying oceanfront property they tell us will be underwater in just a few years.
https://k-gallowglaich.medium.com/t...bout-climate-change-by-the-1960s-1159179255e4

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go explain to my kids what snow is since they've never seen

Make sure your children read this........just for objectivity purposes
https://www.nationofchange.org/2021/10/28/what-big-oil-knew-about-climate-change-in-its-own-words/

"Green on the outside, red on the inside" - Walter Williams
Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go explain to my kids what snow is since they've never seen it (Al Gore - net worth $300M+)

I'll let Gary's quote address the A Gore comment

"Few things are more counter productive to your advancement than envy of those who are successful."

This post does not have a political ad-gender. It has different graphs that show why the need to look at the overall and make sure what is being shown/said is in the interest of the truth and not for selfish reasons.

The interesting thing is Australia lags behind the US looking at the full picture

Australia's claims on their emissions reduction...........Graphs show why you have to be careful who you believe when they use a graph to push their own ad-gender

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-12-08/fact-check-scott-morrison-emissions-in-the-g20/100676322

https://www.theverge.com/2020/5/4/2...naires-wealth-inequality-jeff-bezos-net-worth

As an aside
@gggGary No you don't have to buy off Amazon............I never have and never will.
"the wealth of the 0.001 percent could address many of the world’s most pressing humanitarian challenges"
from your link skull. The thing is they already do. Where do you think a lot of that wealth comes from?
Think of the big names
Bezos Amazon the most efficent prurveyor of goods on the planet.
Simply; he gets more goods to more people at a lower cost than anyone one else in the history of man has ever been able to do.
Musk made a fortune with google, took that money and has grown at least 3 OTHER major, game changing, companies.
You want to reduce CO2? Tesla is driving innovation needed to get you away from your petroleum addiction.
Gates revolutionized computing, putting immense power in so many businesses and homes. Now funds a LOT of third world infrastructure and health projects.
on and on.
Those fortunes come and then they go, on to the next generation of entrepreneurs, changing the world in ways no "government" could envision much less orchestrate.
Governments have a place and necessary functions, but they are as corruptible and dangerous as any businessman. And much less likely to create sustainable new ways of living.

Back