Do you carry an emergency kit?

Ccanady

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
So another member made a post yesterday about his bike having some electrical problems and he mentioned he had a voltmeter with him. This got me to thinking about making a bag of all the essentials one may need for issues that may arise. (i.e. flats, electrical problems, and such)

What do you guys carry (if any) on you or your bike when riding? I would like to make an emergency bag to cover all my basis and looking for ideas.

Full kit:
Hex keys
Wenches
Screw driver
Flashlight
Socket set tire pressure gauge
Spark plug socket
Copper brush
Feeler gauge
Ties
Bulbs
Fuses
Spare spark plugs

So another member made a post yesterday about his bike having some electrical problems and he mentioned he had a voltmeter with him. This got me to thinking about making a bag of all the essentials one may need for issues that may arise. (i.e. flats, electrical problems, and such)
What do you guys carry (if any) on you or your bike when riding? I would like to make an emergency bag to cover all my basis and looking for ideas.

Hi Ccanady,
the bike's original toolkit with perhaps some of the flimsier tools replaced with good ones should cope with most minor emergencies.
A can of fix-a-flat will re-inflate a tubeless tire while tubed tires need tire irons, a tire pump and perhaps a spare tube.
But from my own experience the tool you'll need is the one you didn't bring.
In my case not having a can of contact cleaner cost me a 100 mile trailer ride home.

I think first and foremost I need to practice changing my tire. As I have never changed anything other than a bicycle tire. These are all good ideas.

Hi Ccanady,
the bike's original toolkit with perhaps some of the flimsier tools replaced with good ones should cope with most minor emergencies.
A can of fix-a-flat will re-inflate a tubeless tire while tubed tires need tire irons, a tire pump and perhaps a spare tube.
But from my own experience the tool you'll need is the one you didn't bring.
In my case not having a can of contact cleaner cost me a 100 mile trailer ride home.
When I bought my bike from the PO he told me the tool kit was lost while he was moving. Anyone have any ingenious tool bag/storage ideas? I was just thinking of carrying a backpack.

I think first and foremost I need to practice changing my tire. As I have never changed anything other than a bicycle tire. These are all good ideas.
When I bought my bike from the PO he told me the tool kit was lost while he was moving. Anyone have any ingenious tool bag/storage ideas? I was just thinking of carrying a backpack.

Hi Ccanady,
should you fall off your bike the last thing you want strapped to yourself is a backpack full of wrenches. It will make a very bad landing cushion.
My favorite for carrying stuff is a set of soft bags with a toolkit in one side and rain gear in the other.

Hi Ccanady,
should you fall off your bike the last thing you want strapped to yourself is a backpack full of wrenches. It will make a very bad landing cushion.
My favorite for carrying stuff is a set of soft bags with a toolkit in one side and rain gear in the other.
Point well made! I may go with a cheaper version of TC Bros hardtail saddle bag.

I think it all depends on the length of the trip you're making and where you live. I can imagine if you live very remote or in rural areas, you have to carry more things than living in the vicinity of cities where road assist is near and mobile phones work. Although living in a tiny country myself even I take the most usable tools with me: Adjustable wrench, screwdriver, spark plug socket, pliers/cutter and of some steel wire. Steel wire help tie things in case of losing a bolt or something. Carry it in a tool bag and tie it to the bike. Never carry tools in a jacket or in a ruck sack, that's dangerous.

The best place to breakdown is between a Walmart and Autozone. Walmart will not hassle you for working on your bike in their parking lot. Tools can be bought and returned for a refund after you use them. The next purchaser of that roll of wire will never miss a couple inches. ;)

Scott
Here's a handy website where you can buy stuff for your toolbag. Most of it is for your car, but there are also parts and tools for your bike in the 'Tool and Fasterner' section.
http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main_page=products_all&zenid=n8yYR5yFCLWjoVAR3u1Fm1

I think it all depends on the length of the trip you're making and where you live. I can imagine if you live very remote or in rural areas, you have to carry more things than living in the vicinity of cities where road assist is near and mobile phones work. Although living in a tiny country myself even I take the most usable tools with me: Adjustable wrench, screwdriver, spark plug socket, pliers/cutter and of some steel wire. Steel wire help tie things in case of losing a bolt or something. Carry it in a tool bag and tie it to the bike. Never carry tools in a jacket or in a ruck sack, that's dangerous.
My worry is that I live in the middle of nowhere. I could easily call a tow or call help just like anyone else but thought it would be nice to be prepared when I get in to a tight spot.

Here's a handy website where you can buy stuff for your toolbag. Most of it is for your car, but there are also parts and tools for your bike in the 'Tool and Fasterner' section.
http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main_page=products_all&zenid=n8yYR5yFCLWjoVAR3u1Fm1
Just ordered some blinker fluid. Was running low.

I used to carry a leather rolled tool bag on my Triumph, right below my headlight. Sort of like this ( not my bike )
It’s out of the way, you can buy them everywhere, and you can fill them with an assortment of quality tools.
46388501-F125-4281-A52D-A0F1A5FFE748.jpeg
85684459-E234-42ED-AA21-75DB6BE34E17.jpeg
4F285232-0901-4CE3-92A0-95C6617C45E4.jpeg

Attachments

• 913D8426-BA28-48A5-90CD-70F5630E1A5F.jpeg
    913D8426-BA28-48A5-90CD-70F5630E1A5F.jpeg
    58.8 KB · Views: 92
I ride around town naked.

But on trips I take the tools peterg suggests plus tire plug kit (rockin cast wheels) and a little bicycle pump, along with a spare reg/rec and spare whole ignition system. I've had a couple of flat tires. I pay no heed to admonishion to not plug mc tires.

My worry is that I live in the middle of nowhere. I could easily call a tow or call help just like anyone else but thought it would be nice to be prepared when I get in to a tight spot.

I understand, and you're quite right. Being prepared and able to help yourself or others is part of motorcycling to me.
Easy on the blinker fluid ;-)

Back