Does this look right

kazoom

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
My clutch is sliping so putting in new plates, so taking of the cover this is what i see, i am just wondering if it is normal with all this Black Stuff on the surface, when looking at the pictures in here everything looks so shiny. Havent done very much engine work so dont know what to expect

Best regards from denmark

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    218.9 KB · Views: 211
yup. burned up, old, not changed enuf oil. Eventually, this will go away as you follow maitanence schedules.

How many places can it go? Collect in filter screens? Obviously. Bearings? Possibly. Clutch?.... I have seen some bad results from a low mileage, older motor that got purchased, new owner changed fluids more than regularly. Hard carbon deposits broke apart and took out cam lobes, rocker arms, and various bearings....... also clutch.
Change oil, regularly... keep an eye on it. Also keep an ear out for new or worsening noise:thumbsup::bike:

Kazoom what year is the engine? 82-83 cases were painted black from the factory.....
Lets see the inside of the clutch cover?

Hey Angus, didn't you have some sort of trick adding gas to the oil?
HA! Yes. I had both rubber tips come off of the fuel inlet valves.
Had gas just pouring into my oil. But, as You may recall, I upgraded to the plastic floats in my 1980 carbs, and new needle valves, and so far so good. When I was done with repairs, I drained the oil thru a paint filter. A lot of junk came out. When I got my engine, one piston pin had let go, not under my watch. I will change the oil soon to be sure I got all the junk out. :bike:

Back