Doesn't want to down shift.

Reaction score
Bikes been down for a couple years now due to a bearing going out. Found a used motor condition unknown but compression was good. long story short... got it installed, got the clutch issue figured out, now it won't downshift when coming to a stop and neutral is impossible to find unless you come to a complete stop and shut it off. Clutch adjustment has been verified per the manual and advise on the board. I need to pull the side cover once again to install the starter gear fix from my old motor and I'm unsure what I need to look for. It upshifts fine just doesn't like coming back down.

It appears I have solved my own problem..... I was fiddling with the Shifter lever and noticed the lever moving but not the shift shaft. The shaft was stripped out. Threw a pair of vice grips on the shaft and it down shifted just fine, finding neutral is smooth as silk. . It didn't want to downshift because it wasn't getting positive pressure on the shift shaft.
All is good....

I've found a good one to swap out, thanks to DogBunny.
I don't want to cannibalize the other motor too much, it's the original motor and I plan to rebuild.

Back