doesnt want to start? suggestions please?

Stone

Just Livin
Reaction score
me and a buddy just bought 3 bikes, 81,78 and a 75. I rode the 78 home yesterday and around town and it started running worse as the day went on, 1st and 2nd were boggy at first and then would take off. it was boggy no matter how much gas i gave it.

Then it stalled in the intersection and we havent been able to get it running since. I have had the charger on it, ive kicked it and all that. It almost started a few times but in the heat and humidity I could only take 15 minutes of kickin it over.

Im pretty new to the bike stuff. I have basic mechanical knowledge from working on jeeps to trucks to people crap they dont want to fix. I have wanted to get into bikes forever and wanted a xs650 forever. So i made the plunge!

any help would be awesome! oh and if you need some parts I have more than I want (came with the deal) I will be posting in the for sale section when I get it all sorted out.

I will try and post pictures soon.

Thanks
Stone

running it all day prolly loosened up something in the carbs. Take the carbs off and clean it all out. pilot sounds plugged, so, when you give the throttle a good twist, the engine gets fed from the main jets.

There are basic To Do's when firering up a stored bike.
1. Change oil and clean filter screen
2. Drain fuel tank - if rusty thoroughly clean
3. Replace fuel filters
4. Replace spark plugs - maybe plug wires too
5. replace points/condenor if equipped
6. clean carburetors - jets, set float level
7. Adjust cam chain
8. Adjust valves .004 intake, .006 exhaust
9. Add fresh gasoline with some additive like Tecron or Seafoam or what ever.
10. Start engine
11. If there are problems then its time to diagnose specific issues.

No sense chasing your tail

Travis this should go into the tech section if there isn't a To Do, must do there yet.

:wink2:

Last edited:
I dont know how to do some of that but ill give it a shot. I have alot of searching to do on here...damn class schedule...:banghead:

Back