Don't know what's going on with my clutch

lanzen114

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
I'll start at the begining. Bought the bike had some carb issues, got those fixed finally. I never really drove it to far until I got it running right and inspected. After my first legal ride on the roads of San Antonio the clutch response is very weird when pulling away from a stop after bike is warm. It seems like it doesn't engage until the last 1/2" of lever travel. The clutch is perfect until after the bike is warm and rode for a while. I adjusted the clutch per Clymers instructions. I thought maybe it was the oil. So I tried Motul 15W40, Valvoline V-twin 20w50 and currently using Rotella 15W40. I confirm the brakes are not dragging causing the issue. I have no problems finding neutral or shifting thru the gears when bike is warm, only issue is when pulling away from a stop. I have read all the clutch posts, I am at a loss on what to do other than replace clutch plates, but it never slips. I appreciate any help or ideas.

You have discovered a rare and often not discussed a secret of the 650. Oh hell it ain't no secret and it happens to all 650's.
When properly adjusted cold the it changes as the engine warms. We believe it is caused by the different expasion rates of the parts. The steel push rod expands at a slower rate than the aluminum case.
Most people set the clutch right when cold then adjust at the lever to keep it right as the engine warms.

I've seen people writing about this before, but mine doesn't have the problem for some reason. I have a good friction zone and it's always in the same place regardless of engine temp and ambient temp. The only difference I know of in my setup is courtesy of a p.o.the clutch push rod ball between the adjuster and the first push rod has been replaced by a cylinder about 1/8" long cut from a rod the same dia. as the push rod. The thinness of the cylinder does cause the adjuster to be turned in more than it would be with a ball there.

Last edited:
So to clarify, adjust at the lever after it is warm, then re-adjust at the lever when the bike is cold? I am going to try your suggestion XSLeo on the way to work today.

Is there anything simple that I could replace or upgrade to help keep the friction zone in the same place?

Get the clutch adjusted cold first. Loosen the cable at the lever. Set the adjuster under the chrome cover. I use the flats on the lock nut, turn in untill resistance back off one flat. Lock down. Set lever to 1/8" free play. If it gets changes as it warms up, reset to 1/8 inch play.

Try upgrading to a hydraulic actuator. It's an easy modification and the master cylinder usually has enough extra movement to compensate when things warm up and expand slightly. Mine's as smooth as can be.

so lanzen114 are you in san antonio now? where is woodlands, dwyatt? im a transplant to san antone that has an 80 xs chopper build that is killing me slowly.....havent met anyone that knows anything about these sweet machines and need help. Ilearn better from being shown, not told...ya know.

Back