Drum brake fit mag wheel???

I wanted to go with the mag for one simple reason.. Less time cleaning! My 06 roadster was a bit of work, whenever I want to go for a scoot had to wipe whole bike down first.. Now lazier than ever I just wanted to get on and go!

Hi roadstar,
the other advantage of cast wheels is that they will accept tubeless tires.
[ EDIT. (at Skull's insistence)] A Yamaha cast wheel is only OK to run tubeless if it has suitable for use with tubeless tires stamped into one of it's spoke webs. [END EDIT]
And if you are averse to cleaning wire wheels you will totally hate having to remove and replace a wheel to fix a punctured tube at the side of the road.

Last edited:
Stop saying that Fred.............Some mags were cast as tubeless and it will be written on one of the spokes if the mag is tubeless.

Can it be done? some do but................

Last edited:
Could someone please show picture of what is different between tubeless and tube type mags? I have both and they look the same to me. I am about to mount some new tires and was planning on not using tubes. I found a older post that lead me to believe they are the same. Thanks

Stop saying that Fred.............Some mags were cast as tubeless and it will be written on one of the spokes if the mag is tubeless.

This has been mentioned every time you make a blanket statement on tubeless mags.

Although some people have mounted tubeless tyres on a non Tubeless rim, it is dangerous because the tyre could peel off.

A false statement like this is unsafe and very dangerous. Your very safety conscious and full of unsolicited safety advice when some one mentions they are building a hard-tail so please be consistent.

I guess if the worst case scenario happened you wouldn't need to worry about being stuck on the side of the road fixing a punctured tube

skull you are usually spot on but read this thread, and look at some pics I took. NO XS650 mags have the safety bead tube OR tubeless. The only diff I can find is the size of the stem hole. The safety beads came later sometime later in the 80's but it varied by brand, Honda had them on their comstar mags in 81, Honda also have them on later spoke rims. A safety bead probably saved my life on a Shadow a few years ago. I was never able to find a USA safety rule requiring them. New MikesXS and some other tube rims, still don't have safety beads......

axles 004.JPG

Ha ha ha ha, I amended my post after doing a read around........... Before you replied with my quote and posted your link, (for the op), when i amended my post.

May be size of the stem hole is a reason the manuals and sense suggests to use a tube on a rim that doesn't state tubeless.

Maybe rim manufacturers caught up with the technological advances when tubeless tyres were manufactured.

Important to note that safety bead when buying rims for your own piece of mind i guess

Can it be done? some do but................

Hi Skull,
well, of course read the writing stamped into the spoke, eh?
My '84 Heritage Special left the effin' factory wearing tubeless tires and no, those rims, nor any other XS series cast wheel rims I've ever seen, don't have a so-called safety bead.
However, they all had the appropriate writing stamped into them.

To use a spoke disc brake wheel on the rear of an XS650 you must modify a wheel from either the front of an XS650 or use a wheel from a different bike. Yamaha never used a spoke disc brake wheel on the rear of the XS650.
Leo

Back