Drum Brake rod

jonnyk

a2m
Reaction score
I am sure this is a dumb question for many of you. But I am in the process of hardtailing an '82 xs, and have about 5 inches of stretch. That said, the original drum brake rod wont quite reach the wheel anymore. Any suggestions? I was hoping to just buy a longer one, not sure where to even begin that search though.

Any advice is much appreciated.
Jonny

any good hardware supply should have various lenghts of rod, buy the size you need and thread the end looks better than a full lenght threaded rod and you don't have to worry if a extention (welded) will hold

I had to lengthen mine 4" and it wasn't as easy as I thought it would be. To make sure the weld was good I kept bending and flexing the rod. I had to re-weld it a couple of times and grind it back down.. Of course I was stubborn and didn't want to use a sleeve.

Yeah i dont want to weld one as I am not running a front break at all. So i will be getting a longer rod for sure. Thanks

haha! I didn't flex it that much.. Just wanted to make sure it would bend some before it broke. The first couple of times it didn't take much to break. I run a front brake anyway so I hardly even need a rear.

Extended mine with a tapped bit of hex & a socket head bolt plus lock nuts. Been solid & working fine for years :thumbsup:

Attachments

• concentric swingarm.JPG
    concentric swingarm.JPG
    96 KB · Views: 229
any good hardware supply should have various lenghts of rod, buy the size you need and thread the end looks better than a full lenght threaded rod and you don't have to worry if a extention (welded) will hold

Home Depot has lengths of brass rod. You have to tap the one end but it looks really cool when done.

I personally have steel but I had seen it on another bike. Plus it was twice the price! I am guessing it is crazy soft by the response?

You'd trust brass threads? I wouldn't use a substandard material on anything safety related for the sake of appearance. . Especially with no front brake! Save the brass for lamps.

I cut the stock rod in half.. Used an old jack handle & cut a 4-5" long collar.

The stock rod was such a tight fit inside the jack handle, I dont think I even needed to weld it. But I welded the shit outta it.. Good to go !!

Back