Dual Output Coil + Welding

Radford119

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have made a couple of mounting tabs for my dual output coil and was wondering if I risk damaging the coil if I weld them while the coil is attached? Thanks!

Have seen in other posts that definitely you risk damaging electronics. That's from pamcopete, and nobody here knows electronics better than he.

the coil itself does not ground to the frame. as long as no wires are connected to the plugs or ignition you will be fine.

that being said you should always disconnect/remove any sensitive electronics before welding.

It's not so much the high current from welding that damages electronics, although that is a factor, its the huge magnetic field that is created by the very large current. This magnetic field actually moves small things around, like wires and the innards of transistors, so even a coil, with its very fine wires, can be damaged. :eek:

Now, some good ole boy who has been welding for 45 years will chime in here and say that's BS because he has never had a problem. Sure, Evil Kenevil didn't have too many problems either, but I wouldn't do what he did. Would you? :D

It's not so much the high current from welding that damages electronics, although that is a factor, its the huge magnetic field that is created by the very large current. This magnetic field actually moves small things around, like wires and the innards of transistors, so even a coil, with its very fine wires, can be damaged. :eek:

Now, some good ole boy who has been welding for 45 years will chime in here and say that's BS because he has never had a problem. Sure, Evil Kenevil didn't have too many problems either, but I wouldn't do what he did. Would you? :D

pete, is the magnetic field being generated at the weld or inside the welder or both?

If you weld for living , standing in one area, grinding dust everywere, welding lead on the floor, at the end of the day, you can see a pattern of magnetic field effect in the metal grindings on the floor. straight lines radiating straight away from the lead. Some times there is so much grit on the floor, I can see the filings lined up and starting to form a arc.
Keep you ground clamp as close to the weld area as possible, disconnect battery, and disconnect tci(if you have a 80+)
Or take measurements and weld mounts on separately. I assume you are using the coil as locators for the mounts?

Evil [sic] Knievel notwithstanding, you won't have a problem. Unless you melt it :)

Question: How deep are your pockets?

Answer: I have lots. Then weld away and be prepared to buy more parts. Odds are 50/50

How lazy are you?

Answer: Real lazy. Leave them on and go to first question.

:D

I have shallow pockets.

I made standoffs to mount my coil to the backbone below the carbs. I drilled 2 holes in a piece of scrap flatbar that were the same distance as the coil mounting holes. Bolt the standoffs to it, weld away...

Attachments

• coil mount.jpg
    coil mount.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 239
I made these strap looped over the frame and hung the coils off of them. All bolted so they can be removed for easier engine removal if need be. Excuse the rust, lazy painter.
(me)

Attachments

• IMG_1707.jpg
    IMG_1707.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_1711.jpg
    IMG_1711.jpg
    219.7 KB · Views: 105
Back