Early petcocks with internal filters....

scott s

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
If I have a spotless tank (acid etched and bare metal inside, NO rust), clean carbs and a pair of good, non-vacuum, early style petcocks with the internal filters....why would I need inline filters between the petcocks and carbs?
The mesh on the internal filters is good and very fine. I'm contemplating not running external filters. Thoughts?

- if youre running ethanol gas and not keeping the tank 100 percent full then you will get rust ... can you guarrantee the quality of any gas at all petrol stations you stop at ? ... can you see your internal filters ? and be certain theyre not compromised ?
- in line filters are cheap insurance ... once youve had to strip down your carbs to clean your pilot circuits once or twice you will see the light

Filter. Always filter. I'm pondering a tractor type glass bowl filter so I can see what's in there (including water) and dump it out.

I've never run extra filters in over 40 years of biking and never had any problems. Obviously, I don't think they're necessary. I've seen them cause more problems than help prevent them. They break, they leak, they can restrict flow, and many don't filter anything out at all.

External filters are also a touchy subject over on the Honda board I frequent. The Honda petcock has a mesh screen that filters out particles down to 40 microns; smaller than the smallest orifice in the carb/jets. It's also self cleaning.
That's why I was wondering about the early Yamaha petcocks. The mesh on the filters is very fine and should keep out any particles. The petcocks also have a drain and you can remove and clean the filters while the petcocks are on the bike.
Still mulling this one over....

Back