Easy one - oil build up in foam filters 1975

Moisstink

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just bought my first 650. It is a 75 and I am pretty stoked on it. I do have a 76 cb550 and love the old bikes. The CB is pretty stock and I want to heavily modify the 650. I am going through the bike now and noticed that the foam on the filters for the carbs are gummy with a red sticky goop. It is like if you took jam and melted it down. I am assuming this is oil. The engine is modified to a 750 cc but stock other than that which I know of. Any and all information on this is greatly appreciated. I am also wondering if the filters can be cleaned and how so. The foam seems to be in good condition minus the goop.

Attachments

• new 1.jpg
    new 1.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 239
I'd guess the PO used the spray on filter oil from K&N which is red (or the stuff I had was...)...

Last edited:
Oh yeah, I forgot that is something needed on some filtration. I am getting a rough start and though that the filters may have been clogged with oil. I am not really feeling any other filter oil through out the filter its just the bottom is pretty gummed up almost to the point of dripping. The previous owner seemed pretty knowledgeable about the bike.

Since the carbs are through the foam filters and not through a stock air filter I am wondering if I switch to velocity stacks will I need to re-jet? This will be a weekend rider and not a daily driver.

Never mind on the velocity stacks. Through researching the forum I did get the answer I was looking for.

Thanks,

Kevin

Last edited:
K&n oil is for guaze filters. Mix 50/50 oil and gas in a can, sqeeze foam filter to soak up the mix, then let gas evaporate for a few hours.

Looks a lot like my 77,those look like the original pipes in really great condition,Nice.
If u decide to modify the pipes with after market I would be interested in them as I am trying to keep my bike stock looking and currently have after market units.Thx

Back