Electric ignition- 1977

Emeraldcopnj

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I am completing my 1977 build. I just have it as a kicker. It has a Pamco and PMA. I am looking to hook up and electronic ignition. What would I need / how do you hook it up? Thanks for your help.

I should have posted electric start. Sorry..

you will need a starter soleniod ,battery cables, a starter button,battery,that is if all the starter gears and starter are there. 1 of big post on soleniod gas to battery +
other gos to starter, 1 small post on soleniod go's to ground other gets wires to the push button switch it's that simple:bike:

Emeraldcopnj, get in the threads and dig out one of the wiring diagrams that will suit you - there are many diagrams,

Dirty Dog is right, electric start is two elements: getting the power to it, and then making sure all the bits are in there and in good order.

Keep us posted.

Anlaf

I have used a lawn mower solenoid on one of the buids I have done,or one from just about any motorcycle,motorcycle solenoids are smaller ez to hide,you can use a push
button from auto parts store or one from one of the motorcycle parts supply co. or use a ign.switch with a start pos on it ( or a Universal one from a auto parts store or mc
parts supply co.)

I like this diagram. It shows the basic points ignition with the separate reg and rec. It has the later TCI and combo reg/rec in boxes. Just swap the boxes to match what you have. The Pamco wires in after the kill switch.
The e-start is up to the right. The PMA you just follow the instructions that came with the PMA, run the positive from the PMA to the battery, negative to ground. On the yellow wire to the safety relay just run a yellow from any one of the three wires from the stator to the reg/rec of the PMA. This sends the power to the safety relay so it works as stock.
Just hook up the Pamco to a battery by it self at the first state up. This way you can have the rest of the system hooked up and test the PMA for proper function. Once you are certain the PMA is functioning right you can then hook the ignition to the bike.
If you just hook it all up and the PMA has problems like the reg is not working and it send a 20+ volt spike into the rest of the bike you can damage the ignition.
Leo

Attachments

• 314w9s3.jpg
    314w9s3.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 159
Thanks Dog and Leo-
The bike is already running with just the kicker. I just want to add the electric start. Thanks for the info !

Back