Electro-dreams?

Bewarethemoon

XS650 Junkie
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
I'm at the stage of designing my seat pan and in my opinion I've come up with a pretty cool idea of how it attaches and detaches from the frame.

Does anybody have any knowledge of solenoids and in particular what it would take to use one to actuate a cable?

I've done a tiny bit of research and I've seen little 12V units that can pull but admittedly I'm really out of my depth here so any advice would be massively appreciated.

Daniel.

Last edited:
to pull a cable, you'd probably use a rotating wheel, not a solenoid. an electrically detaching seat sounds kind of weird and unnecessary

Sorry Daniel - you're way over my head;
20220708_005633.jpg
the seat on this puppy is attached with Velcro (don't laugh it works!). Fender is bolted though.

Daniel - "Solenoid that actuates a cable" - electric door locks off any car - should be plenty second hand in scrap yards - the solenoid may of actuated a rod but I can imagine adapting a cable.
Regards Ray.

Sorry Daniel - you're way over my head; View attachment 220745the seat on this puppy is attached with Velcro (don't laugh it works!). Fender is bolted though.
Hi JP, I have a similar seat which needs a better fixing method than the four slim threaded bolts which are resin set in the fiberglass seat pan. They locate poorly into four holed tabs welded on the frame rails; and getting a small nut on to secure is impossible.

Any chance you could post some images of your Velcro solution?
Thanks
Ads.

I'll get some pics later today Adamc. It's an off-the-shelf unit from Omar's Fiberglass; the Velcro mounting method is per their instructions.

I'm at the stage of designing my seat pan and in my opinion I've come up with a pretty cool idea of how it attaches and detaches from the frame.

Does anybody have any knowledge of solenoids and in particular what it would take to use one to actuate a cable?

I've done a tiny bit of research and I've seen little 12V units that can pull but admittedly I'm really out of my depth here so any advice would be massively appreciated.

Daniel.
Cable pull solenoids @12Vac are readily available, they are used in remote car door popper kits. I had them on my 70 Chevelle back in the 90's. They can be kinda cumbersome though.

Just look for universal door lock solenoids, or door actuator solenoids.

Back