Electronic ignition installation

donmillerx

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hello all...
There are no stupid questions, right?

The previous owner removed the rev limiter, added a high output coil and "updated" the ignition system to a single set of points. After a little help from some guys off craigslist, my wiring's a mess.

I was considering installing the electronic Pamco ignition instead and was wondering how easy or difficult it can/would be.

Anyone have any experience with these?
Thanks.

- pamco are no problem, but then as long as the single points cam is symmetric-there have been some problems here-they work well too...will wear a little quicker as both cylinders are sparking through them...a lot easier to set, but then once youve done the dual set a few times theyre easy enough too

I'm not with you on the rev limiter :confused: but I have done the dual lobe cam for the points with Mikes #17-6822 coil. had no problems and my thinking is it is easier to set 1 set of points than 2 and it is. The second set can be left in there and used if any thing happens to the other set to get you home, plus your only using 1 condenser and have a spare right where you need it as well.

Pamcopete will answer any questions and bend over backwards to help you with his systems. Some reading on....... Pamco Ignitions ........and a lot of question and answers

I don't know what you are talking about when you say the rev limiter..........Are you talking about the advance weights on the other side of the motor opposite the points

I have done the dual lobe cam for the points with Mikes #17-6822 coil. had no problems and my thinking is it is easier to set 1 set of points than 2 and it is. The second set can be left in there and used if any thing happens to the other set to get you home, plus your only using 1 condenser and have a spare right where you need it as well.

The two issues you could face (at high rpm) would be

1 - electrical: can the caps/coils disharge that fast. the answer is "yes" to that one, but you're running the coil as twice the design spec. Thus extra heat (probably nominal, really) and less life. But this is almost negligible, really.

2 - physical: can the point react twice in a cycle. ie: with dual points, it's opening/closing once every 720 degrees of crank. So, half your rpm. With a single point, every 360 degrees.

Despite being light, it *does* have mass, and the spring may or may not be able to keep the arm from "bouncing" or "floating" (same deal as valve float) on the points cam, and getting weird unintentional ignition events at higher rpm.

Number 2 is what i'd worry about more.

That all being said - i'm not sure that it would be that big of an issue on an engine that redlines at 7500ish.

Back