Electronic Tach?

Tacho wire is hooked up to the negative terminal of the coil which Pete confirmed is correct - it worked to start with too. thanks for confirming other electronic tachs work with the pamco I didn't expect it was something special so I'll have to do that test you've suggested.

No doubt, just trying not to waste too much of his time with an interface that he hasn't used being the Danmoto tach. I undoubtedly trust Pete's advice on this as usual :)

I got the Acewell but have yet to install it. How are you guys installing it and any tricks to the install?

Don't know how much detail you are after, making brackets for mounting is straightforward
For wiring get the right wiring diagram for your bike

I grab a pen and paper and do my own interconnect diagram,

gauge wiring (color/function)------>xs wiring (color/function)

If you are ripping out the original wiring, never to return, then have a look for some male/female automotive type block connectors for the connection(s) between gauge and bike wiring, they come in differing sizes and the number of terminals.
Do firm crimps, flow some solder into the crimp join just to be sure
Unwanted wires like the extra dash lights? insulate the ends, don't leave them exposed

what else? use a good magnet (rare earth?) on one of the disc bolt heads for the speedo pick up, ( the magnetic nuts and bolts supplied don't fit) you can glue it, I haven't lost one yet.
Bracket will be required to mount the speedo pickup

I put an inline fuse on the +12v "always on" input to the gauge

Some of these gauges will drain your battery if you don't run it often by way of the clock if nothing else, trickle charge the battery.

have fun

No doubt, just trying not to waste too much of his time with an interface that he hasn't used being the Danmoto tach. I undoubtedly trust Pete's advice on this as usual :)

I still didn't resolve this despite some confirmation from 75jazz that I'd wired it up the same as his and Danmoto ensuring me that the tacho circuitry is virtually faultproof. I tried it on both coil posts with a resistor in line and even off the ignition earth as suggested by danmoto but all I get is a flash to full rpm on startup then nothing. Bike is in getting seat done now but as this is the only speedo I've seen that suits my wants I'll just go without the tacho. Not a huge deal but sheez it bugged me that it wouldn't work! :banghead:

Could.. be a dud. I ordered an electronic tach from Mikes and worked on the very first go and then never worked again after I had shut off the bike.

Hi Rude,

I'm looking at gauge options for my project and like the way you mount your Acewell and ignition switch as well as the rest of your awesome bike!!

Any way you could post a few pics showing more of the bracket detail from the front so I can see it a little better?

Thanks

I started a somewhat similar thread a few days ago, and got recommendations for a couple of good suppliers, one of them was:

http://www.digital-speedos.co.uk/

where I found these gauges:
http://daytona-global.com/products/?page=Products_AllProducts&mfrID=9&categID=14&subcategID=49

Japanese made, matching electronic speedometer and electronic tachometer. And reasonably priced too. MPH or KPH does not matter, as it all depends on the wheel circumference entered into the unit. If the unit is "metric", then just enter circumference in mm diveded by 1.609.
The tachos are either 8 or 18000 rpm, which is a bit of a shame. 9 or 10000 rpm would be perfect for the XS, but I believe I will go for the 8000 rpm version. Right now I am waiting for a reply from digitalspeedos.co.uk on a few questions on these Daytonas vs some alternative gauges from KOSO, that has 9000 rpm tacho, but look a bit too modern to me.

I have a KOSO RX2N electronic tacho/ speedo/universal instrument on my Monster, and it has worked great for the 3 years I have had it. Actually, BIMOTA of Italy used a KOSO RX2N on one of their later DB models, with a customised gauge face with Bimota logo.

Before the KOSO, I had a Autometer-Procycle 5" Monstertach on the Monster (!) but that unit died after a year and a half.....So I have no reason to doubt the quality of KOSO gauges, at least compared to other brands on the market.

Last edited:
I started a somewhat similar thread a few days ago, and got recommendations for a couple of good suppliers, one of them was:

http://www.digital-speedos.co.uk/

where I found these gauges:
http://daytona-global.com/products/?page=Products_AllProducts&mfrID=9&categID=14&subcategID=49

Japanese made, matching electronic speedometer and electronic tachometer. And reasonably priced too. MPH or KPH does not matter, as it all depends on the wheel circumference entered into the unit. If the unit is "metric", then just enter circumference in mm diveded by 1.609.
The tachos are either 8 or 18000 rpm, which is a bit of a shame. 9 or 10000 rpm would be perfect for the XS, but I believe I will go for the 8000 rpm version. Right now I am waiting for a reply from digitalspeedos.co.uk on a few questions on these Daytonas vs some alternative gauges from KOSO, that has 9000 rpm tacho, but look a bit too modern to me.

I have a KOSO RX2N electronic tacho/ speedo/universal instrument on my Monster, and it has worked great for the 3 years I have had it. Actually, BIMOTA of Italy used a KOSO RX2N on one of their later DB models, with a customised gauge face with Bimota logo.

Before the KOSO, I had a Autometer-Procycle 5" Monstertach on the Monster (!) but that unit died after a year and a half.....So I have no reason to doubt the quality of KOSO gauges, at least compared to other brands on the market.

I'd say 8000 rpm is more than enough range. I've only taken my rpm to 6000 rpm once in the last 7 years.

Have you ever taken your rpm above 7000 rpm?

Retiredgentleman,
No I never took my XS above 7000 rpm in it stock form. And after riding it for 2 summers, it has been in a partly disassembled state for 2 years, while I slowly have been collecting parts and started on an engine build.
So it will become a 277 degree rephased 750 with a Shell #1 cam from MrRiggs, 1 1/2" pipes with fairly open mufflers, and Mikuni RS 34 flatslide pumpers. I have never ridden a modified XS, but assume it will be a little more rev happy than a stocker, which has a 7500 rpm redline. So at least in theory, a 9000 rpm tacho would be ideal.

Retiredgentleman,
No I never took my XS above 7000 rpm in it stock form. And after riding it for 2 summers, it has been in a partly disassembled state for 2 years, while I slowly have been collecting parts and started on an engine build.
So it will become a 277 degree rephased 750 with a Shell #1 cam from MrRiggs, 1 1/2" pipes with fairly open mufflers, and Mikuni RS 34 flatslide pumpers. I have never ridden a modified XS, but assume it will be a little more rev happy than a stocker, which has a 7500 rpm redline. So at least in theory, a 9000 rpm tacho would be ideal.

What you're planning will have more torque, at lower rpms. These engines are not high reving engines, and I doubt you will ever exceed 7000 rpm.

Hi Rude,

I'm looking at gauge options for my project and like the way you mount your Acewell and ignition switch as well as the rest of your awesome bike!!

Any way you could post a few pics showing more of the bracket detail from the front so I can see it a little better?

Thanks

sure thing, will be home on the weekend so I'll snap a pic or two
Cheers

What are the options if all I want is an electric tach? Can I get a unit that doesn't require hooking up sensors on a wheel as part of the package?

Thanks Rude on taking more pics!

I made up a plate that mounts under the triple tree lock nut
Used spacers to mount the ignition key "down" lower than standard height, drilled a single hole for the gauge to mount, the wiring from the gauge goes into the headlight using the original hole (in the headlight)
Hope this helps

Attachments

• DSC_0039.JPG
    DSC_0039.JPG
    145.7 KB · Views: 221
  • DSC_0056.JPG
    DSC_0056.JPG
    65.7 KB · Views: 192
  • DSC_0009_01.jpg
    DSC_0009_01.jpg
    233.4 KB · Views: 203
Some really nice stuff on here guys, rude, your bike looks great, 75jazz your setup looks great also. I really like Motogadget but it is pricey.
I haven't used it on my XS but have this setup on an old Honda of mine and think it's good. There is a pretty good range of different styles and I found their support pretty good. http://motogadget.com/en/

Attachments

• DSCF2707.jpg
    DSCF2707.jpg
    225.9 KB · Views: 235
Back