Engine push rod oil leak

Quinn_McLeod

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Gentlemen,

This may be a dumb question, but I started my motorcycle for the first time after a HUGH'S PMA AND PAMCO PETE INGITION overhaul. Started on the second kick :)

The left side clutch and chain aluminum side over was off at the time because I still need to install the chain. The clutch push rod (proper name?) which goes into the engine and actuated the clutch from the cable wasn't installed and when I started the bike, oil POURED out of it.

Is that normal? Do I have a bad seal? Or is it SOLEY because I need that push rod this to be sitting in there?

Okay. I was hoping so, but it's not like that push rod is hard to set in there. It almost just floats in there. It doesn't feel like it SEALS in there. Ya know? I didn't have to push it in with any force or anything. Just set it in there.

That seal is a common spot for a leak. The pushrod is two pieces with a ball bearing in between. Some people(like me) replace the two piece for a one piece rod. There is all kinds of info on replacing the seal if you search. When you put your side cover back on make sure the ball bearing is in the worm screw thing that pushes on the rod.

Was it all oily behind the cover under the seal? If not you might be ok. Another common area for a leak in there is behind the front sprocket. Sometimes the nut that holds the sprocket on is loose which causes the seal behind to leak.

It seemed pretty clean for being an old vintage bike. I'll double check that the front sprocket is torqued to specs, but I'm going to assume for now that it was just because I didn't have the pushrod installed.

That's the reason it POURED out. Once I get it all installed correctly, if I have any seeping or leaking, I'll know to look to replace the pushrod bushing and seals. Thank you all for your swift responses. It helped put my mind at ease. Cheers!

Sometimes if the seal is worn enough the oil pressure will push the rod out.
As you found that hole can dump a bunch of oil quick. Been there.
I don't think I've ever heard of someone running one dry, but there have been threads of seals not seated correctly blowing out. My son got to do two seals back to back and a mess in his drive because of this.
If you have the left cover off and are working on the right side with it running it might pay to peek over the top and see if the rod and seal have enough sticktion (sp?) to keep it in.
The oil is pressured/flows right to left and dumps back into the sump with a channel below and between the bushing and seal. When you replace/drill out the bushing you may want to plug that channel as a precaution.
I had the direction of the pressure path mixed up see TwoManys post for the correct direction.

I plug it first thing because while you can chamfer most of the hole easily with a knife/razor/chamfer tool the 9 o'clock position is difficult. I use a dremel tool with an angled ream bit there. The greased paper catches the cuttings.
full

As a side thought anyone think the counter sink around the bushing is pressure relief to allow the oil to drop back to the sump instead of being pushed back out the seal?
And a longer bushing may complicate that?

...The oil is pressured/flows right to left and dumps back into the sump with a channel below and between the bushing and seal.

As a side thought anyone think the counter sink around the bushing is pressure relief to allow the oil to drop back to the sump instead of being pushed back out the seal?
And a longer bushing may complicate that?

Hi, WER! If you study the crankcase oil distribution schematic, you'll see that gallery-pressure oil is delivered along the left side of the engine, to the small space behind the pushrod oilseal (that's why the seal has a flange).

From there, it flows through the left mainshaft bearing (just behind that seal) and dumps to the sump. It also travels left-to-right thru the mainshaft, some is released thru small oiling holes in the mainshaft, the remainder passes alongside the pushrod mushroom shaft, to emerge into the clutch hub, where it is 'flung' thru the clutch plates thru those holes in the hub.

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showpost.php?p=338879&postcount=2

Back