Clutch push-rod seal

What do you mean about the washer ot of position? I cannot envision how it would be wrong. Put it on flat, sprocket on, torque, bend.
Pull the nut off and you'll see what I mean. Yeah, sounds simple... it's not. It's VERY easy to get it out of position.

I was close.... 87 ft lbs.

1710707125532.png

No.
It's an odd setup. The seal fits inside the cases. The inside of the seal however, seals against a steel spacer. That's not where it usually leaks. The leak comes from between the inside of the steel spacer and the tranny output shaft. The only thing preventing a leak from there is how tight the sprocket (and nut) presses against that spacer.

As I said, it's an odd setup... one of Yamaha's design, that was poorly thought out.
So just to be clear Jim, once I warm it up real good, and if I have no leaks, then I do not need to replace any seals? It was likely the sprocket not tight enough?

once I warm it up real good, and if I have no leaks, then I do not need to replace any seals?

Well yeah... I wouldn't since that looks to be a fairly recent build. Odds are the PO already changed 'em. If they're not leaking, I'd let 'em be.

The early models actually spec it a little tighter, 94 ft/lbs. That's what I use and it seals well. I started out using about 72 ft/lbs I think. I didn't get drips but there were always oil streaks on the sprocket emanating from the shaft. Upping the torque to 94 eliminated them ......

InsideLeftCoverDirty.jpg

Since the leaks in that area are from oil running out between the shaft and the sleeve spacer, I now take some additional steps to seal it. I put gasket sealer on the back of the sprocket where it contacts the sleeve, and also on the back of the lock washer and the nut .....

SprocketMountSeal.jpg

SprocketMountSeal2.jpg

The early models actually spec it a little tighter, 94 ft/lbs. That's what I use and it seals well. I started out using about 72 ft/lbs I think. I didn't get drips but there were always oil streaks on the sprocket emanating from the shaft. Upping the torque to 94 eliminated them ......

View attachment 264224

Since the leaks in that area are from oil running out between the shaft and the sleeve spacer, I now take some additional steps to seal it. I put gasket sealer on the back of the sprocket where it contacts the sleeve, and also on the back of the lock washer and the nut .....

View attachment 264225

View attachment 264226
Nice tip! Thx. I'll snare some of that sealer this week! And I will refer to your photos.

Back