Engine stand...

stuntdouble

Contract Killer
Reaction score
Has anyone made one? I want a stand to mount my motor onto while I have it out of the frame so I can rebuild it and shine it up. I would like to see y'alls plans or completed stands. Might even buy one off ya if the price is right. Thanks!

I found this plan on 650motorcycles.com. Works great. I've done two of them and for the second one, I had 1 inch to the height.

XSstand.jpg

XSstand01.jpg

Last edited:
Check craigslist for a cheap [automotive] engine stand. Heck, Harbor Freight has them for under $50. Then raid the scrap bin for a few small chunks of angle.

blownmo03.jpg

blownmo02.jpg

This puts it at a comfortable working height, you can work on all sides of it, and it's on wheels so it's easy to move around.

The 650motorcycles.com plan works well but as mentioned, you need to make the uprights 1" longer or the starter motor won't clear the base. I found an old A/V cart in a dumpster at work to set mine on so now it's mobile. Added an outrigger to hold the cam chain up, too .....

RollingStand1.jpg

Here is some info on the ones I made. I wanted them high enough to get under and do any work around the starter or oil sump if need. With the wider base I can tip it over on its side and keep the cases off the bench to access the bottom and it makes it very stable when I roll the motor around on the floor with a dolley.

XSStand2.jpg

XSStand1.jpg

TwoJugs. Damn nice stand in the youtube video. Nice work. :cheers:

Very nice looking engine too!

I found this plan on 650motorcycles.com. Works great. I've done two of them and for the second one, I had 1 inch to the height.

http://i947.photobucket.com/albums/ad314/72XS2/Forum/XSstand.jpg

http://i947.photobucket.com/albums/ad314/72XS2/Forum/XSstand01.jpg
I made one similar to this design using scrap angle, and then added 10" posts to the bottom using 1-1/2" exhaust tubing to raise it up and remove the lower filter cover while on the stand. Painted the engine on it too.

Thanks for all the input gents but I broke down and bought one from TC Bros. for 36 bucks + shipping. I am going to be making some modifications so it doesn't tip as TwoJugs pointed out.

Probably the smart move. I bought the steel new for mine and used flux core wire to get use to my new welder. It was a bit of a lesson but not a lot saved when all is added up. I guess like many other things I do though, I can say I made it myself.

TwoJugs, I built one of those stands yesterday but had a little problem with the center to center on the holes. 6.5" was too much, I had to use 6 1/4".

If you were using small holes the dimensions could end up tight. I made larger holes then needed in fractional sizes close enough to get the job done but allow the bolts to pass through easy. Makes getting tyhe stand in place and finding the holes quick when going solo. Are you talking about the distance between the foward and rear mounting cross bolts?

Yes, the distance between the engine mounting holes, front to back. Your 1st drawing shows that as 6.5" center to center. I figured your stand would be more than the 650motorcycles.com version (which uses 6") because yours has less distance up and down between the holes (2" vs 2 5/8") but 6.5" proved to be too much. I test fitted it to a motor to be sure before final welding. I used 7/16" holes as shown in the drawing.

I built a stand simular to whats in the pics.
I used wood for the bottom frame, steel to hook the engine to.
It is about 2 feet long with 18 inch pieces acroos the ends for stability. I even put some lawn mower wheels on one end that set just clear of the ground when flat. When I pick up the other end the wheels hit, so it rolls around easily.
Not hard to build, used scrap I had laying around.

Back