excessive oil from breather on head and rear sprocket size

TurboFarviknugn

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Here AGAIN to draw in the smarts of the forum AGAIN !!!

#1: I am having what I feel is an excessive anount of oil coming from breather nipple on the top of the cylinder head. I have ran a hose with a brake booster check valve stubed into the pod air cleaner, originally I guess the breather hose went to the air box ? any way after a 40 mile highway ride after parking the bike oil drips from the pod filter down the engine onto the floor making a puddle on the floor about 4" wide by 6-8" long. What are come common ways to remedie this issue I am sure I can be the first to have this issue.

#2: While crusing at speed engine is running at 4k RPM at 60 mph, looking to boost the speed to about 70 MPH at 4k RPM, which rear sprocket would allow thisiit is an 82 with stock gearing HOPING to only have to change rear sprocket AND will this kill my low end ?

ANY and ALL help is appriciated (again).

Sounds excessive. I would remove the check valve. Run The hose into a catch can and see how mutch after a ride. 32 rear sproket good all around.

Gotcha on the 32 rear, I need to go out and see what it has currently, I looked when it was apart just dont remember what is on it. As far as the oil goes it probably looks like more than it really is, I am mainly interested in stopping it as I wanna ride up to Austin to meet up with some of the XS650 crowd up that way also to check out VOODOO's shop without the mess and head ache.

my 74 does it too....not sure why. And it has hone, new rings, stem seals. and it was low km's to start with....like 10,000 kms. And i just fill it less than half on the dipstick.

my 78 did too, not near as bad as this one though.

Make sure you're not over-filling the crankcase with oil. If you do, the excess can come out the breather. The factory recommended filling to half way between the low and full mark, not all the way to the full mark.

Hi,

As Scabber says the valve should allow air out the motor. Dispense with it and see what comes out into a catch tank. It does sound like overfill.

As for the sprocket, I have gone for 17/31, mainly because I couldnt find a 32! I'll see how she goes! :)

So how much oil did you put in the engine..?? As suggested, sounds like it may be overfull, 2 litres/quarts is all that goes in after dropping the oil.
If your oil level is good, I would be doing a compression check as you may have excessive blow-by past the rings.

#1 I agree, sounds like you are trying to keep the oil level a bit high.
#2 Gearing is a compromise. Gear for better highway cruising and you can loose low speed acceleration. I have tried several combo's and found the 17 front and 32 rear sprockets a good all around choise.
Leo

Did you do a top end rebuild and forget to install the oil baffle? That will cause excessive oil to spurt out of the breather.

Back