Exhaust discussion?

special-k

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Since l finally put my flattracker together it' kind of lit under a fire under my ass lol A Anyhow is there a general rule of thumb for type of exhaust system? We race in vintage 1/2 mile flattrack. At the last race we had 4 yamahas and 4 separate types of pipes lol

I'm in southern ontario. I have 1 5/8 primaries going into a 3"x14" collector with a 6" perforated tube baffle 1 3/4 id with a stock 256 engine and 36 mikunis. The other guys had a 2-1 with longer primaries dumping into a single 36"? Jemco style megaphone. That was a full race 750. The third one had off the shelf jemco high pipes with a mild 256 style 750 and 34 mikunis. The final yamaha has a mild 447 style 750 with dual short megaphones down low. Phil Little style. Looking forward to different theories.

My advice is buy the 650/750 Engine modification guide. Its a PDF download from 650 Central.
Lots of info on pipes that have been used for racing.

+1, Signal! Craig Weeks is the author, and he's a member here: board name 650performance. Craig did a wonderful job of research, backed up by his experience on the track and on the bench.

Right, Daniel, you can't order the manual from 650 Central, but there's reference to it with a link to www.650performance.com on the 650 Central home page. I should have posted the link before, sorry 'bout that.

Guys, even if you're not interested in doing performance mods to your own motor, Craig's manual is a great read. If you are doing a performance engine build, the manual will save you many times its price in bullets dodged.

Last edited:
Back