Exhaust Pipe Diameter Problem

glennpm

Another Old Biker Nut!
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm at the point in my project that I'm fitting the exhaust. I bought this rusty project a couple of years ago and got some nice Commando Specialties Peashooter mufflers, Mikes header pipes for stock replacement and some up-sweeps. The sweeps are a popular Triumph part I've learned tonight.

the problem that i found tonight is that the mufflers are 1 1/2" OD as are the stock header pipes. The sweep will fit over one of the 1 1/2" ends, should be the muffler in my opinion for support but now I have a 1 1/2" to 1 1/2" joint at the short end of the sweep and the butt end of the header pipe.

I've looked for an adapter (chrome) and have had no luck. If I slot the adapter, with the short end, it is not going to be a reasonable nor pretty fit into the header pipe.

Suggestions please other than giving you the muffler or pipes so I can buy new stuff!

thanks

Attachments

• DSCN0011 (Large).JPG
    DSCN0011 (Large).JPG
    87.5 KB · Views: 413
  • DSCN0009 (Large).JPG
    DSCN0009 (Large).JPG
    108.6 KB · Views: 400
things I'm thinking of:

- find a stainless sleeve with double screw clamps to directly join the two 1 1/2" pipes between the sweep and the header pipe. So far no luck in locating and I've seen these before but never looked for in this size. I could polish the stainless.
- slot the sweep and ram it into the header pipe. I've done this on cars but didn't care about how it looked and if it leaked I would weld it or use a muffler bandage under a clamp
- Find an illusive 1 1/2" to 1 1/2" adapter in chrome
- weld an end onto the header and get the header pipe ceramic coated

... and put an insert inside the two 1 1/2" pipes that I could make for regular muffler pipe parts and put a clamp on both sides, one on the sweep and the other on the header

Find a muffler shop and have them expand the muffler pipe so it will slip over the exhaust pipe. They should have a pipe expander that will do that.

Posted via Mobile

Yes that came to mind but then the chrome plating is destroyed. I don't think they could do it with the adapter since there is not enough straight pipe to grip. I had a tool at one time that would do it but haven't seen it in years.

This a real and common issue with no one offering a great solution.. Your local farm/fleet store sells some very nice wide stainless steel clamps in the 1 1/2" size at reasonable cost.
Here's one DIY solution. Those clamps are in the last pic.
http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28919

187270-20121005004702-apache-ultra-t-bolt-clamp.jpg

http://www.farmandfleet.com/products/187272-apache-ultra-t-bolt-clamp.html#reviews

I just bought a used set of V&H long shots for a roadstar, I needed one of the "mufflers" but I was looking over the front head pipe and I think I will be able to get both bends with chrome covers out of it.
You can see the bends in the front pipe in this pic
roadstar1.JPG

Thanks Gary and Steve!

Gary, I like your custom bend! The clamp looks good as an option. I found a Walker pipe adapter, number above, and its a possibility with silver engine paint it may look okay too.

Steve, the Torca clamps are like the link you sent but the smallest i can find are of 2" OD pipe. the factory says that other sizes may be available but with a minimum order of ten. I'll probably call them sometime this morning.

I do want to keep the Comando Specialties Peashooters though. They have no seams and are beautiful!

Good find! the parts are about 12 pounds but shipping is twice that at 22 though!! Must be someone in the US that sells these things in this size.

I'm going to try Gary's method for now. I just ordered a couple of Walker connectors, 41919, from Napa which they'll get form the warehouse and I'll pick them up on my way home tonight. I'm thinking this will be better for position of the mufflers without the "seeps' and i can probably support the muffler closer to the foot-peg stud too.

BTW, Commando Specialties would work with me on a swap too so that's excellent so if the connector don't work out, I'll be going that route with a 1 1/2" ID inlet to the mufflers. They do make a nice looking product.

Gary, do you remember the angle that you were aiming for?

Glenn,
Standard Norton Commando headpipes are 1 3/8 OD, I believe, and the ID of your mufflers reflect that. RGM Motors in the UK also offer "Big Bore" Norton Commando mufflers for 1 1/2 headers. These will fit your pipes.
I also think the classic peashooters are the best looking mufflers ever, so I actually bought a pair of the Big Bore type for my XS. They do/did look fantastic, BUT THE SOUND IS TERRIBLE.

Somehow an XS with these mufflers sound nothing like any Norton I ever heard. This may be due to the Nortons are small bore/long stroke engines, 850s especially. Or due to smaller valves, differences in cam timing etc. My oterwise standard XS sounded nice up to 2-3000 rpm with these peashooters, at higher revs it sounded "raspy" almost like a 2-stroke....Definitely not even close to the nice rumble of a British twin. Or a Ducati with Termignonis for that matter. So even if you make yours fit, you may well end up disappointed. Selling them to a Norton owner may be a good option.

Thanks ArcticXS,

Well we'll see how this goes including the sound. I have a 277 re-phased so that will be a factor too. I'll report back in a few weeks once i get this running.

I had a similar problem fitting "Commando" mufflers to the inner pipe of my stock double walled header. I found the necessary adapters and use a chrome plated drain pipe slit down the center to hide the adapter. These drain pipes are chrome plated brass and very thin so you can slit them end to end with sheet metal shears. Available at most hardware stores in various diameters. I found the adapter at my local Pep Boys auto supply store. Also available at Advance Auto and other auto parts stores in a variety of diameters.

adapter.jpg

chromecover.jpg

materials.jpg

onthebike.jpg

Thanks Pete,

I like the chrome plumbing drain/tailpipe cover idea.

I picked up adapters from Napa on the way home last night and will work on them this weekend. Garage is kind of cold now though!

Back