External oil filter

JohnGoodenough

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hi gents
Heiden oil filter on its way, Lockhart oil cooler installed, but system requires removal of right hand side oil filter.
Any ideas for an inline filter?
I still have to do the plumbing for the cooler..

Thank you

You should have ordered this kit also, when shopping in Jerry Heidens "candystore"
http://www.xs650.biz/p/28/2802/mo74-cgp2|22=3/#ht-0092-external-oil-filter-kit-

I believe you then just connect your cooler after the oil filter, then back to the engine after the cooler. (as the pressure drop over the filter will be less with higher oil temp.)

This kit should require no drilling, tapping or plugging of any oil passages, the adapter that replaces the stock cover should be just bolt-on.

Also, using an external filter allows the use of a much larger filter than other solutions, and this should be a fully reversible modification

Must say your BIG XS engine seems interesting! In Europe, Tony Hall of Halco was definitely the go-to guy for XS tuning back in the day, 840 kits were quite common.
Will watch your progress with the XS!

That's about the same way I built a spin on oil filter to the sump plate. I went back to the stock sump filter.
On adding an external oil filter, it's easy to add if you are adding a cooler. Just plumb the oil from the engine to a filter then to the cooler and back to the engine.
Now that I have built my new head pipes I can reinstall the modded side cover so I can put the cooler and filter back on.
Leo

Wow Philippe! Nice work!
I can't do that kind of stuff, so I'm going with the Heiden sump filter replacement and spin on filter adaptor that I can mount just under where I would mount the cooler.
Leo, you reckon filter before cooler?
I suppose that makes sense..

Next week it's the 1000 bike show in Johannesburg , and my builder's going to put up a display stand showcasing my bike in bits, alongside his other bikes

I'll take lots of pics and post..

:)

Yes filter first. If after the cooler it can cause more restriction to the flow. Hot oil flows better than cool oil.
In the testing I did when I first installed the cooler. I did the mods and just plumbed in a temp gauge so the oil just came out of the engine to the temp gauge sensor and back to the engine.
This was before I got Dogbunny's temp dip stick.
I did a 60 mile loop to get a base line. Added the oil filter did the loop. Oil temps dropped about 5 degrees. I have a noncontact thermometer to shoot head and cylinder temps. They dropped a few degrees.
Added the cooler, did the loop. Oil temps dropped another 45 degrees for a total drop of about 50 degrees. The head and cylinder temp dropped about the same.
First loop oil was 195-200 depending on speed.
With the filter and cooler the oil temps barely reached 150 degrees.
One thing I noticed is that the uneven head and cylinder temps that the XS650 have were gone with the cooler.
Without the cooler the right side can run 20 degrees hotter than the left. With the cooler I couldn't see enough difference to say there was one.
Any way the oil flows through the filter with less restriction at 200 degrees than it will at 150 degrees.
Leo

I can't say anyone is making them but there are a lot of people posting diagrams to build them.
Not hard to do. I did it with a hack saw, drill press and files.
Leo

Back