Finally got a bike after a few setbacks. What oil, plugs, etc?

I've always used ant-seize on plugs, exhaust studs and such. Still have a tin of Ease-Off 990 from my airplane days. It'll likely outlive me.
I have a smallish tin of Never-Seeze I blagged from work in about 1982. It gradually got lower and lower inside and finally came to an end about five years ago. I've since bought a kg of copper anti-seize, but it's not the same.
However, if I tilt the tin of Never-Seeze and squint, I can still see some hiding in the corners. Enough to do a couple of plugs.
I decided to get some more, but nickel-based anti-seize plus the postage is a bit steep, I'll keep an eye on supply, so in the meantime bought some of this...
liqi moly keramik paste.JPG

Last edited:
I had to buy the Keramikpaste for a small model engine I built. Couldn’t find it anywhere in North America. Had to buy it on eBay from Latvia of all places cost me over $15 for a tiny 50gm tube.

The nickel stuff is relatively inexpensive here.

Edit. Just checked and it’s close to $30 for 227 gms now. Must have been a long time since I bought that bottle.

Attachments

• E69DE7CD-D4B7-448C-BCA2-BF7AA1A83F98.jpeg
    E69DE7CD-D4B7-448C-BCA2-BF7AA1A83F98.jpeg
    192.2 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Autozone the 3 closest to me say they have the bp7es in stock. The 1034 product number? Odds slim of that actually being the ones i need?
My experience at all those places was that online they show they have them. Show up and they’ll give you resistor plugs. I have a friend employed by Advance/Carquest. He tried. Can’t get them. The website shows in stock.

My experience at all those places was that online they show they have them. Show up and they’ll give you resistor plugs. I have a friend employed by Advance/Carquest. He tried. Can’t get them. The website shows in stock.
I had him go back and check. He said they have 4 of them. With the twist off cap?

Took the bag off. Are them the stock plug wires i need with the plugs i bought? Going to try and get the parts box from him today. Hopefully i can get the filters for the carbs. If not ill be looking for those. Hopefully i can fire it up by the weekend. But the bengals are in the superbowl, so that may prevent that. Who-dey!

Attachments

• 20220208_114652.jpg
    20220208_114652.jpg
    233.2 KB · Views: 49
Yes, those look to be stock plug wires and plug caps. As I mentioned, I always replace them. But, in the mean time, you can run with them. I'd re-do the ends of the wires though like I showed in post #56. Also, measure the resistance through the plug caps. Yamaha used a rather oddball resistance rating of like 8 or 9K ohms. If they measure much above that, they need to be replaced. NGK plug caps are cheap, like $2.50 to $3 each, and are considered the standard of the industry, so it's kind of a no brainer to replace the originals with them.

Yes, those look to be stock plug wires and plug caps. As I mentioned, I always replace them. But, in the mean time, you can run with them. I'd re-do the ends of the wires though like I showed in post #56. Also, measure the resistance through the plug caps. Yamaha used a rather oddball resistance rating of like 8 or 9K ohms. If they measure much above that, they need to be replaced. NGK plug caps are cheap, like $2.50 to $3 each, and are considered the standard of the industry, so it's kind of a no brainer to replace the originals with them.

Ill definitely re-do them once i fire it up. What battery is best to go with? Cca? Not one in it and dont see it mentioned in the manual i downloaded?

I got the parts box with the breathers and such i needed (i think). Ordered a battery but once that comes it needs filled and charged for 24-48 hrs. (Hopefully its the right one from advanced auto). I found another advanced auto that has 6 more 1034 (bp7es) plugs so im getting those ordered also and shipped to my local store for pick-up as im sure ill need more than enough to get it running before tear down.

View attachment 207071
I just had an appointment across the street from the Carquest warehouse. Just for the heck of it, I walked into the adjacent Advance storefront. They had one, plus eight in the warehouse. So, now they’re mine! Thanks for the tip.
Im suppose to pick up 6 more at an advanced about 30 minutes from me tomorrow. Scared i may not be able to land them anywhere. Afraid i may burn them up quicker than id like when i attempt to fire it up for the first time. Hopefully not though. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Im suppose to pick up 6 more at an advanced about 30 minutes from me tomorrow. Scared i may not be able to land them anywhere. Afraid i may burn them up wuicker than id like when i attempt to fire it up for the first time. Hopefully not though. 🤷🏻‍♂️
For some reason they couldn't ship to my local shop like they said? Different branch i guess. But i told them ill be there tomorrow after work.

Yep, get 'em while you can. My local Advance Auto pulled 6 or 8 in from other stores for me last Spring. I think I got most all available in my area, lol. NAPA was a bust, said they had them in stock but brought out the BPR resistors ones instead, which I passed on.

If you un-screw the contact out of the NGK plug cap the resistor comes out. Replace it with a similar size copper/brass/steel piece & use the BPR7ES plugs.👍
Can u post a pic of this? Interesting. I have a couple of spares I can experiment with.

Back