Finally got a bike after a few setbacks. What oil, plugs, etc?

I'd be sore tempted to see if that rattle can paint job would wash off with some gasoline, see what condition the original paint is.
Good to see you finally got it. Nice score!

Last edited:
1644156353083.png

1644156611310.png

AutohhousAZ in Arizona seems to have a bunch of BP7ES for reasonable $

Not to go off the rails, but “seems to have” is the tell. I ran down several of these leads including area parts stores. They say,”Yeah, we got ‘em.” They disappear into the back and return with resistor plugs. If @gggGary says he actually bought them from the U.K. I’m in. I’ve already chased the false leads. I appreciate those of you searching.

Not to go off the rails, but “seems to have” is the tell. I ran down several of these leads including area parts stores. They say,”Yeah, we got ‘em.” They disappear into the back and return with resistor plugs. If @gggGary says he actually bought them from the U.K. I’m in. I’ve already chased the false leads. I appreciate those of you searching.
Marty, all I can say is that I just now put 4 of them in my cart (@$1.99), it said available in warehouse.
I didnt buy them cuz I have 26 of them.
Check out the shipping cost from the UK.

Just checked ebay. Some crazy prices so buyer beware. Vendors show a box of plugs in the ad, but in the fine print you’ll see it’s only for one plug. I saw prices of over $65.00 Cdn per plug!…. but free shipping. Lol.

Can someone look at the box the plugs come in and advise the stock number. A BP7ES can come in fixed and non fixed terminal (different stock numbers) and I want to order the correct ones. Thanks.

I guess ill try and hunt me down some of the rare plugs online, my intentions are going to be the same as before and i plan to build a bobber out of this one to somewhat match my 2015 sportster "seventy-two". So alot of these stock parts will be available, i just want to get it running first. It feels like it has good compression when i push the kickstart down. I bought the vr1 20w50 oil, same oil i run in my 1972 vw bug ironically.so yes whoever it was that asked about the bug it is indeed a '72. And its not aloud out in this weather for pictures so ill see what i may have saved on this phone. But after looking on the tree it seems it is a 1973. Which years had "weaker" frames?. The seat had a strap thrown over it when hauled. But it seems to be in great shape. My uncle said it was re-upholstered several years ago by a leather guy that owed him some work.
Once its running and ready to break it down, most all of the stock parts will be going which seem to be in pretty fair shape, minus one dent on the front fender and a small one on the back. So if interested let me know and we can set it up to be shipped.

Attachments

• 20220206_130536.jpg
    20220206_130536.jpg
    208.8 KB · Views: 82
  • Screenshot_20220206-132038.png
    Screenshot_20220206-132038.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 88
  • Screenshot_20220206-132237.png
    Screenshot_20220206-132237.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 90
Marty, all I can say is that I just now put 4 of them in my cart (@$1.99), it said available in warehouse.
I didnt buy them cuz I have 26 of them.
Check out the shipping cost from the UK.

If you get non resistor plugs, I will order them at your word, so let me know. I also want BP6ES.

As someone.... Gary?... previously mentioned, BPR7ES plugs are still readily available here in the US. Non-resistor caps are also easy to get.... problem solved.
I picked up the non-resistor caps and resistor plugs last fall. Soon as it warms up I'll be switching to them, and never have to worry about finding the BP7ES plugs again. Seems the easier solution to me, but what do I know.... :shrug:

As someone.... Gary?... previously mentioned, BPR7ES plugs are still readily available here in the US. Non-resistor caps are also easy to get.... problem solved.
I picked up the non-resistor caps and resistor plugs last fall. Soon as it warms up I'll be switching to them, and never have to worry about finding the BP7ES plugs again. Seems the easier solution to me, but what do I know.... :shrug:
Is this what you guys are referring to?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220206-142318.png
    Screenshot_20220206-142318.png
    363.1 KB · Views: 91
In theory the spark is stronger in the non resistor plugs. Perhaps practically it doesn’t make any difference. If that’s the case maybe I’ll just go the resistor plug route.
Just being lazy, but which plug has the fixed, not threaded terminal?

I've been buying B8EG. Racing version of B8ES, smaller electrode gives hotter spark less prone to fouling.

I've been buying B8EG. Racing version of B8ES, smaller electrode gives hotter spark less prone to fouling.
Is that still a conventional copper plug and not a precious metal plug like platinum or iridium ?

In theory the spark is stronger in the non resistor plugs. Perhaps practically it doesn’t make any difference.
Standard fare is a 5kΩ cap and non-resistor plugs.
Another way to do it is non-resistor caps and 5kΩ plugs.
Electrically, both circuits are identical.
A small improvement in my mind... the resistors in the caps break down over time and use... same with the plug resistor.
Using the plug with the resistor gets the resistor swapped out at every plug change. That's not the case with the resistor caps that seldom get changed.
The non-resistor caps are NGK. Part # is LZFH
They're also readily available.

Can someone look at the box the plugs come in and advise the stock number. A BP7ES can come in fixed and non fixed terminal (different stock numbers) and I want to order the correct ones. Thanks.
KIMG0456~2.JPG

And yes they have screw off caps. Note the Yamaha SB above recommends anti sieze on the plug threads.

The BP7ES stock number used to be 1034 .....

CorrectSparkPlugs.jpg

But that's been discontinued and re-introduced (in Europe anyway) as stock number 2412. I just checked one and yes, it does have the removable terminal nut. I wasn't aware this plug came any other way .....

NGKPlugNewNumber.jpg

If you choose to go the resistor plug route, NGK makes a very nice non-resistor cap, the LZFH. But, it only comes in one version, to fit the terminal stud (terminal nut removed), so keep that in mind when buying plugs .....

NGK LZFH.jpg

Back