First bike 81 xs650 bobber. Flat power at high rpm

Alright guys got some good news, finally have it running about 95% smooth. I've been changing jet sizes, needle heights etc... this whole time on the weekends and after work.

Finally some success with
-45.0 pilot jets
-stock Jet needles
-142.5 main jet
Idle mixture screws I think either 4 or 4.5 turns out.
-semi repaired slide assembly

Tried the Canadian needle jet set at what would be the same as stock height (just wanted the option of being able to go up or down quickly without shims)

No luck there. Mid range stumbling no matter what clip setting I was in.

Put the stock needles back in today after work. Idled rough but as I went further and further out on mixture screws, and in on the idle speed screw, it balanced itself out.

If I completely turn the throttle from 1/4 turn (slow cruising), to full throttle, it gets a little sputtery towards the top but then rides smooth, if I slowly roll from 1/4 to full, no sputtering and she pulls nice and hard now :) thank you guys all so much for your help.

I'm in Maine so I'm gonna ride for a few weeks (hopefully) before it's too brutally cold and the snow gets here. But I'm sure I'll be on again soon. If there's anything else you think would be helpful for people to see in this thread let me know and I'll do my best to add it in.

Back