First motorcycle - '78 stocker, eventual swingarm bobber

Ashaman

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess I should start this out by saying that this is my first motorcycle of any kind and I've never ridden so much as a dirtbike in my life. Kinda odd, considering that my dad used to ride Harleys before it was cool, before every office nerd and his grandma rode Harleys. Either way, I got bitten by the desire to get into bikes last year. I've always played with cars, including a couple of Mustangs and my current'86 4Runner and '95 SC400. Not sure how I discovered the XS650, but I did and started looking for one in the summer of last year. First visit to a local motorcycle junkyard yielded a nearly complete'78 Standard, dual disc, mag wheels - everything I was looking for. Except a title. Picked it up anyway, got a new brake lever, headlight, etc, just to fix the few things that were missing. Dove into the carbs only to find a hole in the throat of one. Replaced that and carried on tinkering. I ended up losing interest and getting caught up in my house, painting my Lexus, and just other stuff, and didn't follow up on trying to get a title until this last spring. I began getting my paperwork in order (notarized bill of sale, VIN verification, title searches, etc) and finally applied for title a month or so ago. As of now, I have received a postcard that says "Title Complete" but neither the county or the state seem to have any idea what's up with it. So, waiting.

Details on the bike: It's black, 13k on the odometer. I don't think it's ever been registered here in Colorado as no records turned up and it has New Jersey stickers on the fork leg from the year I was born, 1984. Has a little surface rust but nothing structural so far. Turns out it has a Martek electronic ignition but is otherwise stock as a rock. Everything electrical works except the turn signals, even the horn. The one thing that is bunk is the gas tank and petcocks - the petcocks are totally shot and I derusted the tank with electrolysis over the summer. Right now the bike runs on fuel from a lawnmower gas tank duct taped to the handlebars :D but it will kick start down to 25 degrees, as tested yesterday for shits and grins.

My plan is to eventually make a swingarm chopper. I live four miles up a dirt road out in the country so a hardtail is out of the question, and I really don't want to learn to ride on a hardtail anyway. For now, I think I'll do the basic tuneup/rejuvenation parts like a new chain, tires, PMA swap and drag bars, and just learn to ride the damn thing and learn the ins and outs of the bike. Once I've got that under control, the current plan is to do the Visual Impact seat rail kit or something similar and start cutting. My primary inspirations are these two bikes.

xs650-chop-noid-xs_650_9-587x442.jpg

And

noid-000_1308.jpg

I know I'll have tons of questions along the way. :) I'm posting this from my phone but I'll put up pics of my bike as soon as I can.

Remarkably, this seems to be the only pic I have of the bike right now, and it was taken off my old crappy phone. I'll try and snap some other shots this weekend if I get a chance.

2m5jw9d.jpg

I've liked a lot of the Bratstyle bikes I've seen, but am not big on the term as a name for the style, for whatever reason. Hence, swingarm bobber. :)

No idea, to be honest. I imagine that when I get to that point, I'll just take some metal and see what looks like it might fit. I should probably try and pick up a 220v MIG before then, as all my welding up to now (rock sliders on the truck, antenna shave on the car) has been with my buddy's 120v flux core welder.

I got after things a little bit today, kinda just exploration/taking things off. I removed the sissy bar, which is obviously factory as the turn signals are integrated. I'll have to figure something out for those. Also removed the chain guard and the chain, and pulled the rear wheel and cleaned the nasty sprocket up before reinstalling. Mostly that was to help me figure out how the wheel goes on - remember, this is my first time into a motorcycle. ;) I need a new chain and tires in a bad way; if I can pull the wheels and bring them in for mount/balance, that'll save me lots of time and money and hassle.

Some before and after pics from today. I still have the lawnmower tank taped to the bars, so don't mind that.

Before:
2v2du0p.jpg

25ho2tt.jpg

After:
24qr034.jpg

35ja6j9.jpg

awdfer.jpg

I think my best bet for this bike will be to leave it mostly stock for a while while I learn to ride. New tires and chain are a must, and I'll probably try to get a stock ignition switch and seat/helmet lock so I can use this seat. Not real sure how I can redo the rear turn signals without putting the stupid sissy bar back on, which I really don't want to do. How are the turns mounted back there on non-sissy bar bikes? Speaking of turns, I need to figure out why they don't flash. I also want to change the bars to something like drags or some slightly swept-back flattish bars, just to streamline things a little.

Leaving it stockish should give me the chance to figure out what works, fix what doesn't, learn to ride the damn thing, and figure out a more solid plan of what I want to do with it before I start cutting the frame up. Still plan on a PMA swap and probable battery delete, pod filters, and gradual cleaning and blacking-out, but I don't think I'm going to start cutting for a while. Also need to do fork seals and dust boots. Are the ones from Mike's any good or should I look on eBay or the dealer?

The biggest obstacle I see right now in that plan is the tank. I don't have the key for this gas cap, so I'd need to source a cap and key or get a new one. I also have no petcocks for it, and the non-vac replacements seem to be out of stock everywhere indefinitely. What should I do about this? Are those Pingel-style petcock adapter plates worth a damn?

Officially got a title today! I finally got fed up and took my "title complete" notice up to the state DMV office. The guy said that the title was mailed over a month ago, so I don't know if it's buried in a pile of junk mail at home or what, but since I was there I went ahead and got a duplicate title. So, i'm officially the owner of this registrable, plateable bike and can now wrench and spend money on it with confidence. :D

I hit the bike yard last night and found a couple of frames that had the turn signal tabs on the rear frame loop, so that answered that question.

Ippy, let me visualize that bar in black and I'll get back to you. Much appreciated.

I think my best bet for this bike will be to leave it mostly stock for a while while I learn to ride... ...Leaving it stockish should give me the chance to figure out what works, fix what doesn't, learn to ride the damn thing, and figure out a more solid plan of what I want to do with it before I start cutting the frame up. Still plan on a PMA swap and probable battery delete, pod filters, and gradual cleaning and blacking-out, but I don't think I'm going to start cutting for a while.

That is an excellent way to go! I bought my '74 this year with big plans for a hardtail, peanut tank, etc., but held off, and glad I did! After a summer of fun, I realize that the roads around here are much more enjoyable with suspension and decent fuel capacity. Also, now that I am cutting my bike, I am doing so knowing that the engine is all together, with no surprises. Keeping your bike stock for a season will give you a much better idea about what you're getting into, and what might work best for you.

Ashaman, I think you are on the right track. If you don't have a lot of experience, it can be kind of intimidating. Get a good point of reference. Change 1 thing at a time, see how it affects and what effects it has (be it good or bad) then move on from there. Goofing up is half of the fun (fixing the goof up is also part of it). My first customized dirt bike was a comedy of errors, and looking back I can't believe I did to my ole DT100 to make it "cool".
There are some very knowledgeable people on this forum and most sincerely try to help. Welcome to the community!

Thanks for the encouraging words, everyone. I'm taking a closer look at some of the "streetfighter" type bikes on 650chopper and the like, and I may move that direction for a while. Again, mostly stock and no crazy mods.

I just made an order with Mike's XS so hopefully I'll have lots to do shortly. I ordered up bronze swingarm bushings, new fork seals and dust boots, seat hinge pins, the 8mm and 17mm tools for the fork disassembly (per Hugh's lowering instructions = awesome), and a new gas cap with keys and a new non-vacuum petcock. No more lawnmower tank! I'm thinking I'll just do a blockoff plate on the left side petcock holes and run a single petcock with a T in the line. Saves $46 and from what I've read doesn't impede fuel flow. Any particular ways to block off the unused petcock holes or should I just do what I'm thinking, which is a steel plate with two holes and a little sheet of fuel-safe rubber?

Also ordered two Shinko 712's (100/90/18 and 130/90/16) and a new chain from BikeBandit yesterday, and I just received a couple hundred bucks for my birthday so it's time to start helmet shopping. :D

Progress is being made!

I would be tempted to find a male threaded bolt or pipe plug to insert in old petcock hole for short term. (Perhaps). This would make an effective block off with no adverse effects. Maybe someone else on the forum has a better idea. Post pix when you get started. If nothing else it will show YOU the progress your making, keeping the excitement alive. Just my 2 c worth....

God dammit. How did I get it into my head that the front was an 18? I went out and checked because I thought you must be thinking of the wrong wheel, but sure enough, it's a 19. I guess that's what happens when you ASS U ME. :cussing:

Time to explore BikeBandit's return procedure.....:rolleyes:

Waiting for callback from BB, hopefully the exchange procedure is easy and fast.

Also bought an ignition switch and seat lock with keys on eBay just now, so my seat will stay on and I'll be able to start the bike with more than a wirenutted ignition switch pigtail. :D It's coming together....

The early years had an 18 inch rear, 78 I think was the first year for a 16 inch rear, but all years had a 19 inch front. Thats not a hard mistake to make. I have a Honda CM400 that has a 120/90-16 on the rear, a very odd size. And a 100/90-18 on front. Not so odd. But a bit unusual.
I have not shopped BB yet so I can not say how the exchange policy is.
Leo

To block of the tank hole the strap metal and a gasket works.
If you were going to toss the old petcocks you can hack saw the base, fill the hole with jb, paint and use a gasket.
If you want to convert the vacuum petcocks to manuals.
http://en.650wiki.org/index.php/5.02.1_Vac_Petcock_Conversion
Another method was worked out by xsjohn.
http://www.650rider.com/index.php?n...storder=asc&highlight=convert+petcock&start=0

You will want leds for turn signals, what better time to figure out bracketing than now while yours are off.

Picked up a lid yesterday, 20% off for Black Friday (weekend?) at a local dealer. Scorpion Exo 500, matte black, $160. Also saw some nice small universal LED turns that I may end up picking up, and maybe even for the front as well. Gonna try visualizing them on the bike today and see what I think up.

Back