first ride on 650 chopper some questions

brianis

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
so bought a already done 74 650 last week has a weld on hardtail from voodoo vintage, there where a couple things i needed to fix due to the po half assing fixed some wiring new tail light. First question the engine vent has two stupid big hoses coming off the top of engine i know some bikes vent some some dont, well mine vents a lot. Do you guys have a system to run a single hose how to do you guys do them if i can run a single i can build a can to vent into. Also po ran these tiny ass rabbit ear bars i hate them kind of like the lane splitter bars or something maybe some thing i can bolt through the triple tree as it does have the aftermarket bushing setup what do you guys run im going with the old school look on the chopper.

5714FBA4-E27D-4990-8303-DF6D9A31FDA4.jpeg

This winter the bike will get a makeover actual paint and powder coat P.O. liked it raw I guess at least her clear coated the frame

Lets see some pictures of the bike?
Yes you can plug one hose, I have the hoses just sitting atop the air filters on madness, works fine. Many use a car PCV valve and filter. After 75 the factory looped them down, back up and open inside the air filters so the "oil mist" gets burned in the combustion process when the motor's pulling. But yes a spooge bottle would probably be fine also.
cross post LOL.

I've always just run the two vent hoses to a T fitting and into one hose on any twins I've owned. Always works fine.

That's the first time I've ever seen anyone weld an exhaust directly to the frame. Bet you never thought you'd need an angle grinder just to change your exhaust gaskets before!

I just tack welded it to ride it down the road he didn’t have any brackets build so it would vibrate all over the place they will busted off and brackets made

So I bought some original risers on ebay and ordered lane splitters mainly because I can move them forward or back

Excess oil misting out the breathers was an issue on some of the early models. Yamaha addressed the issue by first reducing the amount of oil in the crankcase. This change came along in 1975 so your '74 may still be filled with the old (larger) amount of oil. That could be most of the issue right there. Here's a tech update outlining the change. Check your dipstick and re-mark it if need be, and try the lesser amount of oil if yours has the old larger amount .....

aW9xKs5.jpg

04DE7ECF-4691-450C-97F2-3D8B4156D6CF.jpeg
This is my dipstick if I measure down 5.5 from the handle for my maximum and measure up 1 inch from the minimum they are literally in the same spot

Back