For everyone's knowledge

Corndog

Kick it over!
Reaction score
Just curious if you guys could lay out the major and minor changes made to the xs650 platform across the years. I know it some point the chassis change but I don't know how and things of that nature curious to me and I'm sure it's good knowledge for everybody here who does not already know.

Read though 650skulls excellent thread, pinned in the garage, it details the bike with pictures through the years. Oddly the biggest one year change ever was between the 1973 TX650 and the 1974 TX650A

If you are going to customize in general later is better, there were constant incremental changes through the years.

Well my buddy wants to buy a 79 xs he's been trying to buy my 80 XS off of me for a while now and I want to be able to tell him the differences between the two because they look a lot alike

I have a 77D standard but had a 1980 G. The 77 is way better.The Specials or bikes made later 79 on
were lower in the rear and found them to handle unpredictable plus the Rims were steel not light weight Aluminum
like I have on my 77.The bars on the specials were great for relaxed ride but suck for spirited handling.
I feel the whole bike was designed more for looks and style in later years.The 34 Mikuni carbs were better than the 38,s for
off the line but not by much that I noticed.Lastly from what I have experienced personally riding 5 of these bikes
now is that the later motors Vibrated way more.I guess that could be set-up but its something I definitely noticed!

The later ('80+) bikes have a factory solid-state ignition system (its called a TCI for transistor controlled ignition, I believe) while the earlier bikes have conventional Kettering breaker points. There isn't anything wrong with the points, but they do require a little care and feeding and the mechanical advance units can be a bit troublesome if everything isn't well adjusted and lubricated. The TCI unit on the later bikes is basically maintenance-free, as far as I know.

I guess one difference is that if the breaker point system dies, it usually happens gradually and so you have some warning and can usually limp home if you know some tricks. On the other hand, in my experience with solid state stuff, it either works - or it does not and if not, you are walkin'. Fortunately, the failure rates on solid state components is very low and if they are going to die, it is usually in the first few minutes/hours of service (in engineering we call that "infant mortality"), so anything that is 35+ years old - is quite likely to make it 36+ years old.

The alternators are basically the same, with a minor (but important) change to the rotor brush connections in the 1980 and later bikes.

The bike's stock charging system is solid and consists of the alternator inside the LH engine case, a voltage regulator under the LH sidecover and a separate rectifier pack mounted directly UNDER the battery (hardly the ideal location for a delicate electrical component, I'd say....:oops:).

If everything is nice and clean and the alternator brushes are longer than 7mm, all is well, but the system does require some maintenance (largely the alternator brushes - which are a quick, easy and cheap job to change - IF you have the proper JIS screwdriver). Many people opt for a solid state regulator/rectifier combo unit because they are reliable and inexpensive while the old electromechanical voltage regulator and separate rectifier pack may be pretty corroded and crusty on an old bike that spent a long time being neglected (my regulator and rectifier were both a total mess on my 1976 Standard). There is an aftermarket permanent magnet (PMA) alternator available that eliminates the brushes - but many folks feel that it is of poor quality. Fortunately, the stock alternator stator is rebuildable for not too much cash and so you should be able to keep the stock system alive forever.

Otherwise, the major changes of which I am aware are:
  • the electric starter was introduced in (I think) 1972 and then revised in 1973 to eliminate the compression release mechanism on the LH exhaust valve;
  • the fork tube diameter (34mm to 35mm in 1977);
  • the front brake went from drum to disc in about 1972 and then the type of hydraulic caliper changed in 1977;
  • the brake caliper position (ahead of the fork slider to behind it in 1976);
  • the rims went from aluminium to steel in about 1979 (I think);
  • and the styling (the XS Specials were introduced in 1979) and were the only model available after that single 1979 year in which both Standards and Specials were sold;
  • the Specials have a smaller tank and some had cast wheels and the possibility of a rear disc brake plus after 1979, they had plastic sidecovers and more chrome.
As you say, the XS Special in stock condition may not be the best for handling or comfort - but many folks change the bars and seat and wind up with a really nice bike. Frankly, I don't consider the differences year-to-year all that profound. All of the engines work about the same and I doubt that many people could detect the differences in the front brakes (after the switch to discs) - but the handling of a Special really is quite different with its smaller & wider rear wheel and wider handlebars.

I'm sure there are some other differences - but as stated above, Skull's excellent article details them very thoroughly.

Last edited:
Are you looking for something like a coarse overview?
An oversummarized outline, in 2-year groups?
(Needs work)

70-71 XS1-XS1B "256"
First models, no starter, kick only, drum brakes

72-73 XS2-TX650 "306, 366"
Electric starter, compression release, 1st gear change, hydraulic front brake

74-75 TX650A-XS650B "477"
Internal engine changes, frame change

76-77 XS650C-XS650D
34mm to 35mm forks

78-79 XS650E-XS650F
Transmission change, Special introduced

80-on XS650G, H, J, Specials, Heritage
TCI ignition, BS34 carbs, alternator/regulator change, safety interlocks

Last edited:
As Gary noted, '73 to '74 was one big change model year. Another would be '79 to '80. The 1980 model got different carbs (BS34s), the electronic TCI ignition, and the alternator wiring change. That alternator change required a different type of regulator as well.

Is this for you or are you wanting to do a model difference on the 79-80?...............Who are you going to believe when there is conflicting information posted already.........

here is why it is to much information to do as a write up in a thread like this.................

79XS650 had 3 models in 79. 1 Standard 79F............2 Specials..79SF and 79SII.

Differences between the 79 Special and Special 2............ Visually............

79SF....
Wheels: Factory Mag wheels.Front 19" rear wheel 16" with hydraulic disk brakes on both front and rear......
Ignition: Points with a mechanical advance weights. Points and weights are under the chrome caps above the spark plugs.............
Carbs: 78/79 set of BS38 Carbs coupled to metal air-boxes..........
Seat: hinged from the side............
Side-covers: Metal with a bottom latch...........
Fuel Tank: 12 1/2 liter teardrop style.....twin petcocks with 2 fuel lines feed into heir own separate carb.............
Gauge Cluster: Spedo has 120mph dial with 180kph on the inside.........Rev counter has 2 warning lights in the gauge, Green for neutral and Blue for the high beam. Tower has Indicator light, high-beam fail light and brake/tail fail warning light.............

79SII
Wheels:
36 Spoke Front 19" hydraulic brake and 36 spoke rear16" with drum brake and alloy rims...........
Swing arm: brake actuator is completely different to the 79SF,. Dimensions for the swing-arm is the same, it is the brackets for the brake and brake plate arm, but the big difference is it is carried over from the Standards and has blocks that can be removed at the rear of the arms so the rear wheel and axle can be removed from the rear of the swing-arm as one piece. do not have to remove the axle bolt, just loosen.

These are the only differences between the 79SF and 79SII

now compare the above to your 80G/SII.

Last edited:
Back