fork cap nuts

When you fill the tubes with oil to 6 inches down from the top you do this with the forks collapsed. Then lift the wheel off the ground so the forks extend completely.
The springs will be down in the tubes an inch or so. I loosen the handle bar risers slide the bars over, Use a socket and a speed handle to push the cap down in the tube and carefully trun the speed handle to start the threads.

What can you tell me about the preload adjusters? i figure they are used to beef up the front end if you need addtional handling...there are three setting to the preloader... they were adjusted all the way down into the forks before i started this oil change, which i think would compress the springs the most, giving a harder ride...but i was thinking maybe because the oil was 30 years old it was adjusted all the way down?...the oil i drained from the frorks looked like black water.....maybe i will just have to feel it out for myself...

There is a good chance that is the old, original oil in Your forks. If You have the time (patience) I would suggest flushing out the forks and letting them drain good, before adding the fresh oil. I ordered a graduated beaker for $8 from BikeBandit.com. The beaker is a little more accurate, and very handy for adding fluids to forks, primarys, etc, without trying to measure oil levels with a tape or ruler. Just a thought......

I have a measuring cup that has oz on it...its the wifes..now mine...so its very easy to get 6oz that is required for each fork. What would you flush the forks out with? also i am going to use 10W30 motor oil in the forks.....

I totally dis-assembled mine, cleaned them in the parts washer, then flushed with carb cleaner, then took them to the powder coater. After PC, I flushed them out again to remove blast media. There was a LOT of it in there, it would have eaten the seals in no time.Re-assemble with new seals. I use Honda fork oil.

What can you tell me about the preload adjusters? i figure they are used to beef up the front end if you need addtional handling...there are three setting to the preloader... they were adjusted all the way down into the forks before i started this oil change, which i think would compress the springs the most, giving a harder ride...but i was thinking maybe because the oil was 30 years old it was adjusted all the way down?...the oil i drained from the frorks looked like black water.....maybe i will just have to feel it out for myself...

I have my preload adjusters in the middle position, you just have to ride yours and see where you like it best. With that 10w30 it is going to be quite a stiff ride, especially when the oil heats up and gets thicker. that oil is 10 weight at low temps, and 30 weight at higher temps. I suggest 10 weight fork oil, as recommended in the manual.

Well i just finished putting it all together....the 10W30 oil will have to do for now...i have the preloader set to high scale... if the ride is really that bad i will lower the preloaders. The ride has to be alot better then what i had... i had less the 5 oz of oil in each tube plus..the oil was like water.

The job is alittle more the the Clymer book makes it to be...the key was to loosen the triple tree bolts and having the front tire off the ground.

I am on to the next project...Thanks to all that hepled...

On these bikes after 30+ years the springs do get weaker. The preload may need to be set To the middle or bottom setting. To check for proper, put a zip tie around the tube above the outer tube and push it down against the dust sheild of the outer tube.
With no load on the bike and measuring from the zip tie to the bottom of the lower tree. Now gear up just the same as you ride, Have your helpers hold the bike upright, carefully mount the bike. Now as you set on the bike in riding position have a helper measure from the zip tie to the bottom of the lower tree.
The difference between the two measurements is the laden sag of the springs. It shouls be around 25-30 mm's for a comfy ride. About 20-25 for a sportier ride.
On my 75 with 79 forks even with the adjusters set in the tightest setting I got about 35 mm's of sag. I replaced my springs with some stiffer and longer springs. Now on the lightest setting I get about 25 mm sag In the second setting I get about 12 mm sag.
The first setting works very well. The second is a bit harsh ride.

Back