Fork oil

I have searched "Minton Mods" in this forum and get only references to the article. Can we assume that the 6" measurement for oil fill is with the fork tubes vertical? Further, I did read the "Minton Mods" article (which I cannot find) and remember he reccommending a 36mm fork seal. Does that still apply?
I found the Minton Mods in 650Central. http://www.650central.com/

What do we think, drill these out or leave? Currently 4 x 5-6mm holes.

Attachments

• 20221022_122054.jpg
    20221022_122054.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 56
One of us lazy b-stards should compare that to a spring in place level. Cuz, well who wants to take the springs out and make a huge mess to do a fork oil level change?
Used factory spec 30 weight in a set of 70 forks and ouch they are harsh, need to drain and go lighter. Will prolly put 15 or 20 weight fork oil or 10-30 motor oil??? in the 70 set ready for oil now.
Hint; precoating the fork seals with DS2 powder is a no brainer good thing. smearing seals with soap (thick) lithium grease before install a good thing also.
i put hydraulic oil in my xs2 forks . 230mil . or 230cc in each side

What do we think, drill these out or leave? Currently 4 x 5-6mm holes.
I have an 81. My damper rod has holes ~half that size. According to what I read in the Minton mods, those have already recieved the treatment. Check the holes at the top of the rod.

When I built my XS2, just as an experiment, I used inexpensive hydraulic oil from Walmart. Compared to the forks I rebuilt on my ‘77D, which had much lighter conventional Belray fork oil, I could tell no difference in feel or operation. For what it’s worth.
CC7CCB57-3ABD-46F4-B7FF-0D18919C0E80.jpegF96E1DD1-2DA3-4D44-87F9-B593D52EDACB.jpegEE0C2188-95CC-4EC5-B9F6-A61C83FF492E.jpeg

Yes, those may have been drilled already. If you do enlarge them more, I wouldn't go any bigger than the 1/4" (6.35mm) that Minton recommends. Minton calls for 2 holes using a #45 drill bit at the top ......

DrilledDamperRods.jpg

There is one slightly smaller hole there already and you enlarge it slightly with the #45 bit then continue drilling through, out the other side, to create a second hole. The #45 drill bit (.0820") is a hair over 2mm (2.08mm) so I suppose you could drill through and create your second hole using a 2mm bit.

Yes, those may have been drilled already. If you do enlarge them more, I wouldn't go any bigger than the 1/4" (6.35mm) that Minton recommends. Minton calls for 2 holes using a #45 drill bit at the top ......

View attachment 228109

There is one slightly smaller hole there already and you enlarge it slightly with the #45 bit then continue drilling through, out the other side, to create a second hole. The #45 drill bit (.0820") is a hair over 2mm (2.08mm) so I suppose you could drill through and create your second hole using a 2mm bit.

The top smaller hole is only through one wall, should I go right through the other side?

The larger holes appear very much factory to me.

EDIT, sorry just re-read the 5T.

Last edited:
Yes, go in through the existing hole and using it as a "guide", continue drilling out the other side. That will give you 2 holes directly opposite one another. Then, if you like, using a slightly larger bit, you can bevel the entrance to each hole slightly. This will make them flow better .....

MyBeveledHoles.jpg

The factory beveled the holes on the '77 damper rods, and I now do it to any I "Minton Mod". I see your bottom holes already have a slight bevel but the way it's so slight makes me think they might have been enlarged. Here's the beveled bottom holes and you can see the bevel goes all the way around .....

MyBeveledHoles2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I went for it! I have drilled the top hole out to 2mm and gone right through, it was previously a fraction under 2mm but more than 1.5mm.
The four bottom holes were more than 5.5mm but less than 6mm so again I stuck my neck out and drilled them out to 6mm and countersunk all holes as @5twins suggested. The placement of the lower holes on the one damper rod were drilled by a blind Japanese man, they were far from evenly spaced.

Just to decide on oil level of the 10w oil I intend putting in now, I think I will start with 150mm from top without springs. My slight hesitation is that the PO replaced the standard springs with progressive springs that are slightly longer than the originals and spacers combined. Will the original springs and spacers be stiffer/better?

Just remember, that fork oil level spec is with the springs out AND the forks fully compressed. Don't fill them to that level with them fully extended, that would be way too much oil in there.

Do you have the original springs and are they progressive? The stock springs on the 35mm forks are but unfortunately after all these years, many have gone soft. But adding about a 3/4" preload spacer fixes them right up. If you do switch back to the stock springs, you may need to make up a slightly longer preload spacer as well. I wouldn't make it more than an inch longer than the original though. I started out with added 1" spacers but they proved to be a bit too stiff so I shortened them to just under 3/4" (13/16"). They're pretty much just right now.

Just remember, that fork oil level spec is with the springs out AND the forks fully compressed. Don't fill them to that level with them fully extended, that would be way too much oil in there.

Do you have the original springs and are they progressive? The stock springs on the 35mm forks are but unfortunately after all these years, many have gone soft. But adding about a 3/4" preload spacer fixes them right up. If you do switch back to the stock springs, you may need to make up a slightly longer preload spacer as well. I wouldn't make it more than an inch longer than the original though. I started out with added 1" spacers but they proved to be a bit too stiff so I shortened them to just under 3/4" (13/16"). They're pretty much just right now.
The original springs aren't progressive but much shorter, I can't decide which to use now as the progressives length and lack of spacer is surely what has caused the spongey front end....well that and the fact the one fork leg had leaked nearly 1/2 it's oil out.

Yep, compressed, no spring. Its a while now but I rebuilt my SV650 forks with emulators so had some recollection of oil volume measurements.

Back