Fortnine takes down Gore-Tex in his usual scientific……and entertaining way! 😉

Watched that last night. In the back of my mind I always thought Gore was running a racket.

At the end when he showed two Dainese jackets that had identical construction, one with their own proprietary fabric vs one with Gore-Tex, and the Gore-Tex was twice the cost, just for the brand name……mind blown! 🤯

The stuff has it's faults for sure. I'm not a personal fan, but you can't machine wash anything with it or it breaks down, doesn't hold up to salt.
If you want waterproof boots then rubber has proven itself for over 100 years. I've never found that the Gore Tex breathes all that freely and I always feel damp and clammy wearing it.

Great, informative video. Over the years I have been lured into buying Gore-tex branded product, but will be more careful about paying the premium for the name going forward. Thanks for sharing.

Yep, I watched this vid this week. Blows the Gore-tex myth open..
Have we all been duped. can’t afford G-T motorbike gear, but I have some G-T cycling kit. It’s good but is the other stuff really any worse?

Its a good one for sure! I have fallen into the Gore-tex trap before. A few years ago I bought $600.00 Sidi leather with Gore-tex "Adventure" boots. Overall, I'm happy with these boots although I found out they do just as good a job keeping water in as they do keeping water out. I got caught in a huge rainstorm and didn't have waterproof pants on, but did have long spandex cycling pants on under my riding pants. The spandex served as a wick and the water flowed into those boots - I must have dumped at least a half cup of water out of those boots when we stopped for a coffee!

I've never found Gore-Tex to be worth a crap when it's being used daily all year long. It works at first, then just gets worse, until it's next to useless.
After being bit by Gore-Tex I went Rukka, who were doing complete outfits in totally rain-proof plasticised fabric and those were tough.
Rukka then went sky-high in price (and iirc also started going Gore-Tex too) - there's no way I'd pay the money they want now.

Back