Free spin in rear wheel

The spin looks completely normal to me. Disagreement from others encouraged.
Your chain looks a littler loose, especially considering that it's going to loosen a lot more when run since it's new. Disagreement from others encouraged.

Spin looks OK to me too. But to check for proper chain tension, you need to sit on the bike with it off the stands and on it's wheels. Then reach down and check the tension. The chain will get tighter when the weight of the bike and you is on it. Also, you should check the tension in several spots so roll the bike forward and back a few feet to do so. Chains don't stretch evenly so they develop tighter and looser spots. You set your tension at a tight spot.

The perfect way to set the chain tension is to take the springs and snubbers off the rear shocks. Then put the shocks back on and collapse the rear end. Then set the chain tension to zero lash. Some may disagree but the worst thing you can do is run a chain too tight. I was taught many years ago too loose is better than too tight. We are talking chains here not female attributes.

If there's a master link... pull it... allow chain to roll off sprocket ... then spin tire.. still sluggish ? Perhaps a issue with axle... spacer or chain adjuster placement. Chain as shown is a tad loose. You'll need to adjust a couple of times within the first 50 or so miles... I like to have the bike on the ground.. with my kister on it.. then check the up and down adjustment. :cool:

If there's a master link... pull it... allow chain to roll off sprocket ... then spin tire.. still sluggish ? Perhaps a issue with axle... spacer or chain adjuster placement. Chain as shown is a tad loose. You'll need to adjust a couple of times within the first 50 or so miles... I like to have the bike on the ground.. with my kister on it.. then check the up and down adjustment. :cool:
The wheel spun very freely with no chain. So I'm guessing it's like others have said and just tight becuse its a brand new x-ring chain. I will re tension with the bike on the ground and me on it.

Many years ago.... they developed a belt drive for the Xs..... a snowmobile belt was used that was narrow and had the right length. Spiffy sprockets were made. If I recall.... it made a trip from Illinois to the west coast and then the belt failed on the way back. I rode it... very quiet.... very clean.... But they were try'n to solve a non-problem... and pulling the swing arm to mount the belt was a pain in the kister. It never went into production. :cool:

Back