front brake pics please

slackjaw44

greasy summmbitch
Reaction score
I need pictures of the front brake setup from the front and from the side, I cannot figure out which way it goes on and if i'm missing parts

does the bowl shape go inward toward the spool or outwards?

Not trying to be a smarty pants but last I remember there were some ??? about what forks were on the bike...

here's two shots and a blow up

special002.jpg

pdbike005.jpg

FRONT_DISC_BRAKE-CALIPER.png

What ever they came off of, those are extended tubes. As far as the sliders, I wonder if stock calipers would fit? And if they do, where are they in relation to the disc? If that works, one can saw off the extra lugs (or leave them alone) and use them. I see a lug above the fender mounts and that tells me that fork isn't from a XS 650.

Last edited:
Extended tubes - yes.
They look like xs650 forks to me, pre 77 ones.
The bottom 2x lugs on the forks are for the front guard stays, then caliper mounts & the top lug is for the brake hose mount.
The pre 77 brake calipers will not fit up to your post 77 disc.

Cheers

Which goes along with the aluminum "tube spacers" you reported on in your other thread.
So it seems you have a 78 triple tree and a 78 wheel and disk with 73 to 76 tubes and lowers Hate to ask this but what does the caliper look like? Is it finned and black with 1 piston (78)? or roundish looking with two pistons (72-76)? You really will need to change things to match. the wheel will work with either type fork. If you have the 78 Caliper then going to 78 to 83 tubes is probably the simplest and best way to go. The parts are readily available and not that expensive. The 78 tubes being bigger are stiffer and that is better especially if you want to keep extended tubes. Finally you need to get to the bottom of why the wrong tubes are in there. Were the original tubes bent in an accident? If so you need to check to see if the triples are straight, wouldn't hurt to mount the wheel and spin it to be sure it's not bent either.

Sorry. Uh Um, attention please!!!!!!! The pictures I posted were taken by Gary. They are his pictures and I stole them to make myself look knowledgable on this subject. I am not, I stole the pics. And I am sorry.

:wink2:

Which goes along with the aluminum "tube spacers" you reported on in your other thread.
So it seems you have a 78 triple tree and a 78 wheel and disk with 73 to 76 tubes and lowers Hate to ask this but what does the caliper look like? Is it finned and black with 1 piston (78)? or roundish looking with two pistons (72-76)? You really will need to change things to match. the wheel will work with either type fork. If you have the 78 Caliper then going to 78 to 83 tubes is probably the simplest and best way to go. The parts are readily available and not that expensive. The 78 tubes being bigger are stiffer and that is better especially if you want to keep extended tubes. Finally you need to get to the bottom of why the wrong tubes are in there. Were the original tubes bent in an accident? If so you need to check to see if the triples are straight, wouldn't hurt to mount the wheel and spin it to be sure it's not bent either.

first off i wanna say thank you for your help , in the past view days you guys have saved my ass alot of money! the bike is a 78, the disk i bought off ebay from an 80 i believe. Not sure on the forks or why they are there, guy that i bought it from just chopperized it etc. I did order a caliper but not sure on the year of it from ebay. which sucks ass! so i'm not sure at this point which direction to take it , either buy 78+ forks or buy a -78 caliper..who knows.

only one problem with that bill my old lady is ready to jerk the carpet out from under me, i'm about 700 dollars over budget as it is. lol

Here is a shot of the early style brake set up. This is from a 72 which is slightly different but no big deal for what you need see. My take is that you want to go to the 35mm 77 and later fork tubes, I am not too keen on those home brew aluminum spacers keeping your bike off the ground.

7-20-10_ 002 (640x534).jpg

Picture in honor of littlebill

Last edited:
Back