Front End - Fighting Me

bdholsin

XS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Went for a ride today. Feels like the front end is fighting me to track a straight line. Winds were very low so I don't think it was because I was being pushed around. The bike felt like it wanted to pull to the right. Front tire is inflated properly and not wobbling. Rear tire is tracking nice and true as near as I can tell. Tried to shake it back and forth to test the swingarm bushings and there was no play.

Think it's time for new tapered bearings?

Mebbe. I put them in mine when I did the 750 front-end upgrade and it made a big difference, though I didn't have the tracking problem like you describe.
Is this something that just came up? How many miles have you put in the saddle on this one?

I got the bike at the beginning of September and got it running in October. I've put about 100 miles on it (80 before today). The first 80 miles I didn't really think about it. Today it just felt "wrong" as I was riding. It felt like if I let go of the handlebard (yeah, not a good idea) it would have pulled to the ditch. The road was crowned but not too terribly. I'm thinking this will have to go on my "to do" list.

Anyone know what the size of the bearings is? I'll shop around for a deal and report back on what I find.

May check the rear axle adjustment marks on the frame. I've tried the parrallel straight-stick-line-up but apparently I don't have any straight sticks around here.
I count the adjustment marks and equal them up on both sides. Note that they seem to be off a little from the manufacture, thought they were screwed up but Mama seemed to know what she was doing.
Also an '83

Last edited:
Put it on the center stand (I use a small bottle jack at the front of the engine to get the front wheel off the ground). Turn the handlebars side to side does it seem like it has a notch or straight ahead detent? That is dented races. Other possible causes as suggested rear wheel alignment. The swing arm bushing check should be with a fairly loose chain. Also worn tires, bent or just misaligned fork tubes. Also as mentioned crowned roads do it too.

Yeah G, fork tubes. I keep forgetting if it's tighten from top down or from bottom up, hopefully I'm done with that for a while. Watch yer torque specs on the clamps, 7 to 10 ft lbs IIRC. Wouldn't hurt to loosen 'em up and redo 'em to spec.

For stability the concrete block might be better. In any case don't over do it because once the rear wheel touches the center stand can wobble or retract. A $65.00 mc lift is pretty good too. still want the rear wheel to be touching the floor or blocked up cause if you do remove the front end the bike can tip back. Yeah, yeah, never happened to me I just HEARD about it happening to someone else. :laugh:

Put it on the center stand (I use a small bottle jack at the front of the engine to get the front wheel off the ground). Turn the handlebars side to side does it seem like it has a notch or straight ahead detent? That is dented races. Other possible causes as suggested rear wheel alignment. The swing arm bushing check should be with a fairly loose chain. Also worn tires, bent or just misaligned fork tubes. Also as mentioned crowned roads do it too.

I actually have a couple jackstands kicking around in the garage. I'll give it a try tomorrow if I have a chance. Gotta get ready for rifle season on Monday.

Thanks guys!

Align the forks. I try to keep the lower clamps tight and loosen the upper tube clamp bolts and the center stem bolt clamp. With some persuassion against a tree you can twist the forks and tighten the clamps. Find an open road where you can run the center safely to eliminate the camber issues. If nothing improves go to the rear axle and adjust that too. I think the sterring bearings might be the last to cause a pull unless you have a bad spot just off center. I did the tapered ones on my bike though and it does make steering very smooth. But I laso have the original ones in others that work fine too.

On the rear axle, measure by hooking the end of your tape measure on the swingarm pivot bolt and measure to the center of the axle. Should be the same on both sides.

On the rear axle, measure by hooking the end of your tape measure on the swingarm pivot bolt and measure to the center of the axle. Should be the same on both sides.

Thanks Leo. Now if I can find where my darn boys (ages 4 and 7) put my tape measure. It has mysteriously disappeared recently.

Just reread what I said and realized I left out part. You should hook the tape measure on the swing arm pivot grease fittings. This is easier than the bolt itself. I have done this and I checked the marks on the axle plates. On my axle plates the marks measure the same on both sides. On all three of my swingarms. Once you check this and your marks are the same then using the marks is the easiest way.

That's ok Leo. I understood what you were getting at. Pick the same datum location on each side and measure from there. :thumbsup:

The difference between roller bearings and ball bearings is like night and day. Definitely worth the upgrade, whether you fix the problem or not.

Semi off topic, but front end related....

Does anyone know what type of handle bars these are called?

Attachments

• royal8negro2.jpg
    royal8negro2.jpg
    283.9 KB · Views: 132
  • royal8negro3.jpg
    royal8negro3.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 152
Back