Front end swap question

T6h6o6r

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi everyone I just picked up my first xs650 a couple months ago, a 1980 Special, and I have been frequently visiting this forum for answers to many of the questions I've had, so right off the bat I want to thank everyone here for contributing such a wealth of knowledge about these awesome bikes. This forum is a valuable resource to any XS owner, and especially to a newbie such as myself. Now as far as my questions, I was wondering if it would be possible to swap the front end from a Yamaha virago xv535 onto my XS, and if so what kind of modifications, if any, might be necessary in order to complete it? From what I've read the steering head bearings are the same in/out diameter but the width is slightly different, (15.2 top 15 bottom for the XS and 13 top and bottom for the XV) would that make them incompatible with each other or not? Sorry if this is a really stupid question. I'm just curious if it would be possible and couldn't find anything online that could give me an answer to that. So I decided to just go ahead and ask. Thanks in advance to anyone willing to take a minute and explain this to me! Cheers!

Welcome aboard and lets see pics of your bike?
From the all balls fork conversion utility https://www.allballsracing.com/forkconversion/
Yamaha XV535 Virago 1987 25 48 13 99-3509-5 30 48 12 99-3515-5
Read the caveats that apply at the top of that web page. Stem length can be a bit of a challenge.
Sorry I took so long to find an answer for you.

Last edited:
Forgive me if I'm missing something but are you saying that basically all I need is to purchase those 2 bearings and it would be a direct swap? No alteration necessary? Cause if that's what your saying that's pretty sweet! I honestly was half expecting to be told forget about it haha! And I will put up some pics of my bike a little later today when I get a little time to myself to go and take some. I just changed the bars and painted the tank and havent taken pics yet so now I have good reason to haha! Thanks for the reply, and nice to meet ya!

Here's a few pics of the bike...
PicsArt_12-20-12.56.05.jpg
PicsArt_12-20-01.01.57.jpg
IMG_20191220_123032099.jpg
IMG_20191220_123046350.jpg
IMG_20191220_123100883.jpg

Since I picked her up about 3 months ago, I've done the following:
-Swapped handlebars
-Rebuilt Carbs
-Fabricated Sissybar
-Swapped Headlight
-Installed all new turn signals and LED compatible flasher unit