Front fork seal replace

nairb

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I pulled the front forks off the xs2. Its time to change the oil/fork seals I presume the seals are the originals. They come in 3 bits? Top metal ring, middle seal and bottom metal ring.
I am replacing them with some ari seals.
My question is do I still need to use the old metal rings and just replace the middle seal with the ari one. If so I guess I will still need the large c-clip that held the lot in place.

Thanks
Nairb

I have managed to take a pic of the old Fork seals. I diont know if this was the Yamaha original. Anyway the new one is one piece.

Do I still use those old rings with the new seal??.

Ta
Nairb

Attachments

• xs2 seals.jpg
    xs2 seals.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 761
I just did the seals on my '74 yesterday. My setup was exactly as pictured except for the bottom ring. I replaced the seal, and used the top ring and circlip as pictured to retain the new seal. Hope this helps.

When I replaced mine everything went back in that came out. Look at hughs handbuilt site he has a thread on installing his fork lowering kit, It shows the fork seal process. Hope this helps.

Ok, had a look at hughs handbuilt and a few other sites and the conclusion is.... to put it all back together with all the parts and the new seal.

I presume the scrapers on the new seal should point down. That is scrape under compression. The old seals were so worn I could not tell which way the scrapers were pointing.

Ta
Nairb

I would compare the thickness of the new seal to the old one. If the new seal is thicker, you may need to leave that bottom washer out. The top washer and circlip is used on all the 650 fork seals so I'm thinking it needs to be there.

The side of the seal that has the spring goes down in the fork. The side with the lettering goes up.
Leo

I found that using the new ari.002 seals its best to leave the bottom washer out. And having replace several fork seals over the years you would have thought I would have remembered the right way to put the seals in. But advice is always welcome and I did get it right.
So with the forks done its the front end back together with new handlebar mount rubbers.
The only really major job to be done (as far as I know) is to fix that engine electric start etc. And 2 new tyres... and battery ...and chain... and .....

Nairb

Back