Front Forks Rebuild question

PAhunter

Complete Noob
Reaction score
Is there somewhere on the site here or elsewhere that has a tutorial on how to completely disassemble the front forks?

I want to grind off the mounts I dont need polish and reassemble with new seals etc and am waiting on my manual to arrive. Thought I would get a jump on it and see if theres some kind of online tutorial.

Thanks Ian.

I didnt take my forks apart to shave 'em. put fresh oil in though. I used a cut-off wheel, and a angle grinder with a 4" pad, and buffed 'em out on my harbor freight polisher. not perfect, but I hated seeing mounts that do nothing. invisible fender anyone?

- take care grinding those mounts off - too much heat build up and the alu can deform on the inside impeding the suspension action :twocents::shrug::bike:

I cant link on my phone but at the bottom of the page is a link for " lowering front forks" it has it all in there including how to cut and lower the forks. I just did it over the last two nights. First night I spun the lowers on my buddies lathe. Last night I rebuilt the forks. All news seals and caps and what not. I can not believe how much better it looks and it was pretty simple.( after Travis laid it out for me! Haha)

Posted via Mobile

I buffed my lowers using two different buffing wheels and they look great. The problem is I get the tubes in about 6" past the seals and they stick. Does it sound like I'm guilty of creating too much heat and deforming the lowers?

Back