Fuel valve

TPR

XS650 Member
Reaction score
hi all

I am fitting a Suzuki GT 380 fuel tank but the single fuel tap got in the way when fitting . I have this tap which fits, but I'm not sure if it has a vacuum outlet? the bay seller said that it was for an XS 650?

Also, if it isn't the vacuum type, how will the bike run without it?

many thanks
thumbnail_IMG_5559.jpg

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_5560.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_5560.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 10
That one is not vacuum. You manually select on - off - reserve each time you start or stop the engine.
looks like hole spacing is close on that petcock.
1977 and earlier non vacuum fuel tanks 42mm bolt centers
1978 to 1984 vacuum type fuel tanks, either one or two petcocks, 46mm bolt spacing.

That one is not vacuum. You manually select on - off - reserve each time you start or stop the engine.
1978 to 1984 vacuum type fuel tanks, either one or two petcocks, 46mm bolt spacing.
Thanks. How will the bike run with this type of tap?

addition- the holes line up and it goes on well.

You will need to cap any existing vacuum tap line(s)
Like a nun with a ruler the petcock will quickly teach you to learn/remember the drill.

Last edited:
More info on the tap for you, lest you find out the hard way: Make sure the tap is turned off every time you kill the engine. Carburetor needles do stick on ocassion, resulting in free flowing fuel through the carburetor and into the sump, thus contaminating the engine oil. The oil will thin and as a result lubrication of engine parts will be compromised.
If you don't turn the taps on when you start the bike, you will get about 200metres down the road and the engine will stop.

A nun with a ruler, geez that brings back memories. Some of the nuns I ran into as a kid used rulers, others had much better weapons: Straps, canes, coat hangers, ping pong bats, one had a length,of wood and they wielded them with great delight. Horrid things nuns, but that's what you get when you deprive yourself of a life and start believing in mythical fairy stories.

Last edited:
Yamaha still makes and sells very nice vacuum caps and the retaining clips for them. You want and need the retaining clips because the caps will blow off if the bike backfires through the carbs, which these old girls are prone to doing occasionally, lol. They fit well and last a long, long time. They're not that expensive so I highly recommend using them. I tried automotive vacuum caps but they don't last very long, splitting within a couple months.

VacNippleCap.jpg

Yamaha still makes and sells very nice vacuum caps and the retaining clips for them. You want and need the retaining clips because the caps will blow off if the bike backfires through the carbs, which these old girls are prone to doing occasionally, lol. They fit well and last a long, long time. They're not that expensive so I highly recommend using them. I tried automotive vacuum caps but they don't last very long, splitting within a couple months.

View attachment 265147
:agree:

View attachment 265147
that's handy, thanks

Back