Gasket surfaces

adi1974

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hi fellas, quick question. Cleaning up my various parts ready to put back together. I wondered about my gasket surfaces.

I've not got any big issues, nothing stuck on etc. But I've seen some photos of builds and the surfaces look incredibly clean, very fresh. I just wondered what people recommend for doing that and making them tip top?

I've thought about wet n dry and scotch brite but I worried about them rounding the edges and leaving particles in the cases etc. Anyway, let me know what you guys recommend. Thanks!

itttttttttttt don'ttttttttt kkkkkkkkilllllllll youuuuuuu juussssssss kiddddddddddddda messssssses your headdddddddd upppppp. I use it. :yikes: Mainly to strip paint.

where am I ?... what's my name ?....... Yep, that's the stuff you want. Just don't sleep in it, lol.

roloc chucked in a air drill. I did it to my clutch cover. lots of oil in there. I also don't have the copper washers on that side. It don't leak. use the green roloc. less aggressive. wont leave grooves unless you have hammers at the ends of your arms.
I know a few mechanics that solely go this route for everything. its fast, and easy.
read: common sense goes along way

I've used the paint stripper for many, many years. Read about it a long time ago in a cycle mag. There's no danger of damaging the gasket surfaces if you're patient. Once the stripper does its thing, it's like scraping grease off, that's how soft the old gasket becomes. It also works well for cleaning the carbon off pistons and heads, melts it right away.

Back